Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Modem VS. Internal Modem...or BOTH.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 swimdiveski

swimdiveski

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:30 AM

Hi,...While not exactly a novice at computers, I have learned quite a bit through trial and error, like most of us I guess. I'll begin with an easy question, and hopefully someone can explain the PC response I'm observing. For the last 6 years, I've maintained and used the same external motorola broadband high speed cable modem. And like most of us have experienced, there are lightening-fast days, and there are days with Internet Explorer turns light gray in color and just freezes, causing me to close and reopen brower. My PC, Gateway desktop Windows Vista Home premium SP 1, also has an Internallly installed, ...
Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP. As I have read, these internal modems are for faxing, as is described as well as for dial-up internet connection. I have never and never intend on faxing from my PC and I use an external BB modem. Is it necessary to even have the internal modem at all. In task manager, I've many times stopped the process associated with this program, which is, according to task mgr, .. XAudio.exe ID #1384; Service name is: XAudioService
My concern is that in Windows Defender, which lists both the currently running and start-up programs, I see that ALWAYS under currently running, I see this Soft Data Fax Modem with Smart CP driver, which indicates in the info. listed that is does NOT shop with system. I can't seem to be able to disable this, and should I even be trying? Do I need this internal modem driver always running on my PC , and finally even when I remove it from startup list, it returns and starts on its own. I can't get rid of or shut it off. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:47 AM

If you don't use dial-up or fax from your PC, I really see no reason to even have a modem installed. If you can, you can simply remove it if it's a PCI card after you remove it from the Device Manager. Doing so will free up more resources. If the modem is integrated into the motherboard, it can be disabled through the BIOS. There are two major kinds of dial-up modems, hardware and software. The XAudioService allows you to use your dial-up modem as a speakerphone.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users