Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

broke the motherboard

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:09 AM

Hi to my great family at Bleepingcomputer !!
I have a Dell Dimension 2350, 2.6 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, Windows XP.
I believe I broke the motherboard in the computer. I went to take the heat sink out , and when I did, it pulled the processor out with it. The little arm that secures the processor in was still locked. When I put it all back together, the only thing that comes on is the power supply.
I have been looking for another motherboard to go in it, so I can pull my files off the hard drive. I can't put that hard drive in another computer cause I don't have the installation disc to do a repair install.
is there another way to get those files off that hard drive or should I just install another "LIKE" motherboard ?
I heard I could put that hard drive in another computer if I had an install disc, but what I'm looking for here is some direction.
Does anyone know where the cheapest place is to buy a motherboard for that computer ?
Any and all help is very much appreciated !!!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:56 AM

If you install a motherboard that is an exact match (same BIOS and hardware configuration) you often don't need a repair install. You may have also damaged the processor if you pulled it out at an angle, check the pins. You can usually install the old drive on a different PC, or enclosure, to recover the files. Just simply install it and the PC will often take care of the rest. If you have an old IDE drive, you may need to adjust your jumpers. If you buy an enclosure for your drive, it will plug into your USB port and you can copy the files off that way. If you buy a new motherboard, you should go talk to Dell first to see if there are any proprietary connectors on the board. If it is just a generic board, you can usually replace it with a new one. Note, that if you upgrade the board you might violate your license for Windows XP. Also, it might be difficult finding a new motherboard able to utilize your old CPU and RAM if the PC is old.

3939.png

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

Look carefully at the pins on the CPU and see if any are bent or broke off and maybe still in the socket
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:21 PM

Thanks both of you for your replys !
I have looked at the processor and it seems ok . I tried putting that hard drive in a Dell Dimension 3000 and it didn't work. I have a Dell GX240, that I will try it in here in a little while.
I have been looking on ebay for a 2350 that has a working motherboard in it and seems everyone has them made of gold.
When I try to hook this up to other computers, should it be set on "cable select " ?
And whats an "enclosure" ?
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

And whats an "enclosure" ?

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...rnal-Enclosures

When looking in eBay, Don't use private sellers. Use the eBay Stores
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

An enclosure is simply an case, with the appropriate power and data connections, that allows you to convert an internal hard drive into an external one. You have to get one that matches your hard drive interface, either IDE or SATA. Some enclosures allow for both.

Thermaltake A2396 Aluminum 3.5" ESATA + USB2.0 External Enclosure - Allows for either SATA or IDE
AMS VENUS DS-2316B2BK Aluminum 3.5" USB 2.0 Black External Enclosure - IDE Only
VANTEC Nexstar 3 NST-360U2-RD Aluminum 3.5" USB 2.0 External Enclosure - IDE Only
VANTEC NST-360SU-BK 3.5" eSATA + USB2.0 Aluminum External Enclosure - SATA Only
Rosewill RX353-S BLK (Black) 3.5" SATA to USB & eSATA Ext. Enclosure w/Int.40mm fan - SATA Only

3939.png

#7 DPCS

DPCS

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

Hi to my great family at Bleepingcomputer !!
I have a Dell Dimension 2350, 2.6 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, Windows XP.
I believe I broke the motherboard in the computer. I went to take the heat sink out , and when I did, it pulled the processor out with it. The little arm that secures the processor in was still locked. When I put it all back together, the only thing that comes on is the power supply.
I have been looking for another motherboard to go in it, so I can pull my files off the hard drive. I can't put that hard drive in another computer cause I don't have the installation disc to do a repair install.
is there another way to get those files off that hard drive or should I just install another "LIKE" motherboard ?
I heard I could put that hard drive in another computer if I had an install disc, but what I'm looking for here is some direction.
Does anyone know where the cheapest place is to buy a motherboard for that computer ?
Any and all help is very much appreciated !!!

You can simply pull the drive from your machine, and install it into another working machine, then transfer your files.
You don't need a repair or install disk.

#8 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:20 AM

I tried putting that hard drive in a Dell Dimension 3000 and it didn't work.

When you did that, was it installed as a slave drive? Just hook it up as a slave drive and the OS from the C: drive should find it and then you can transfer the files. If all works as it should. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#9 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:39 AM

Well, I went a couple baby steps.
First off , I had forgot that I had the original processor for this computer. I hooked it up to see if it might have been the processor, insted of the motherboard. It , the processor, didn't work either. So, I'm convined it's the motherboard.
Next, I hooked up the hard drive back into a Dell Dimension 3000, as a slave drive and it SORTA works. I can get into the Administarators account only, it won't let me into the account I need to get into. IT showed up as "E" drive.
One more thing. When I try to now get into my BIOS, and I tap the F2 button, it's like my keyboard won't work. If I wait ill the hole thing loads p and I go into NTE AD, the eyboard works just fine. It's lie the eyboard won't work till the Windows comes up ?!?!?!
How should the primary drive be set as ? Should it be MASTER, since the other drive is slave ? Should I leave it on CABLE SELECT ?
I wouldlike to get into the hard drive that came out of the Dimension 2350, so I can see my email contacts that are in Outlook Express.
Thank you all for working with me so far !
Don't give up on me yet, pease.

#10 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

So when you say you can't get into the account you want into, what does it say? When you put your cursor over it does it say the folder is empty? If so, you may need to take ownership of the file.

HERE is a link telling you how to do that. You may need to be in safe mode to do this.

If you see the drive as E: drive, that's OK, your Operating System should be the C: drive. You just want access to the one you hooked up.

When I try to now get into my BIOS, and I tap the F2 button, it's like my keyboard won't work. If I wait ill the hole thing loads p and I go into NTE AD, the eyboard works just fine. It's lie the eyboard won't work till the Windows comes up ?!?!?!

You confused me here, is this the computer with the broken mobo?

But hang tite, other people smarter than me are here, somewhere, somewhen, they should be along with other solutions.. :flowers:

edit for wordage... :thumbsup:

Edited by Wildabeast, 02 January 2009 - 11:55 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#11 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

lol.... I should have looked at what I typed before I sent that one. I think the batteries in the keyboard were bad there. Sorry. Here is what it should have said:
When I try to now get into my BIOS, and I tap the F2 button, it's like my keyboard won't work. If I wait till the hole thing loads up and I go into NOTE PAD, the keyboard works just fine. It's like the keyboard won't work till the Windows comes up ?!?!?!
In other words, I can't get the F2 button to work now.
lol

#12 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

OK, I'm guessing this is not the broken mobo. Do you have another keyboard? Hopefully one that's not wireless? Why are you trying to get into the BIOS? You don't need to do that to hook up the drive.. :thumbsup:
Ronald Reagan

#13 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:26 AM

I had hooked the hard drive that came out of the broken motherboard, up to another computer, in tandum with another hard drive because I couldn't get the hard drive to boot by it's self.
I went into the bios to set it up to boot to the master as primary.
I did find a regular keyboard to use so I could hit F2.
I got into the second hard drive, finaly, but I could only get into parts of the drive. I could only get into the "C" drive. I couldn't fully get into all of the drive such as Outlook Epress and to the desktop.
I ended up hooking just the hard drive from the broken motherboard up to a computer and putting in an installation disk and do a repair .
That is where I'm at right now. But, when it got to where the repair said that " SETUP WILL COMPLETE IN APPROXIMATELY 32 MINUTES", the repair stalled. It has been stalled for 10 hours now. So I'm trying to figure out what to do now....LOL
Any more help ?

#14 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:58 AM

All I can think of is, reboot and try again. You might want to try a file recovery program if that does not work. I'm fresh out of ideas right now... :thumbsup:
Ronald Reagan

#15 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:19 AM

I'll let ya know how that works out....Thanks !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users