Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crysis on a 8600GT

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cardboardboxer

cardboardboxer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:15 AM

I recently bought Crysis (Special Edition if that matters) and i should be able to run it according to the required specs listed on the box. I have also gone to systemrequirementslab.com which told me i could run it at pretty much everything on high.

The problem is that when i run it i can only get about 800x600 resolution and almost all settings on low to run smoothly and even then it dips below smooth occasionally. I have done some searching and everything i've seen has told me i should at least be able to run it at 1024x750 on medium-high settings.

If you know why this isnt working too well or what i can do to fix it that would be totally awesome. If its because its too weak, then if you could let me know how to overclock it that would be cool too.

here's my specs: (and im pretty sure it is my video card if it IS anything)

CPU: Core 2 Duo- 2.55Ghz
RAM: 2GB corsair
Video: nVidia e-Geforce 8600GT
HDD: 320GB SATA

if you need anything else then let me know

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thefriesguy

thefriesguy

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:08 PM

Crysis is a whore for RAM, excuse my language. and i mean in a big way. i've got a single gig of RAM, and crysis uses 600 - 700 MB of it to run, and that's an understatement when i say "run". i've got the following:

intel pentium 4 2.4 GHz

1GB DDR Kingston

nVidia 8400 GS

and a 320 GB western digital drive.

my advice, try updating your CPU and GPU drivers. it sped the game up a bit for me. if you, unlike me, have room for, and can afford more RAM, then it might be a good idea if updating your drivers doesn't work.

~the fries guy

#3 cardboardboxer

cardboardboxer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

thanks for the fast reply. I havent tried updating my CPU drivers and my GPU is updated to the most recent drivers from nVidia's site. Although the drivers for the video card are beta drivers that said it would speed up Crysis Warhead (so i assumed it would speed up Cysis), I will try updating my CPU first and if that doesnt work il rollback my video card and see what it does.

thanks for your help :thumbsup:

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

I'm running a system with a core 2 duo overclocked to 2.8ghz, 6gb of ram, and an ATI 3870 (which is better than an 8600GT) and I can barely play Crysis on high settings. I still get many lag spikes, and the game in general is not very smooth.

Your graphics card is just simply not good enough to run Crysis on high settings smoothly.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

Crysis was the "straw that broke the camel's back" when it came to memory. I had 2gigs and everything (programs/games) ran flawlessly, except Crysis. It took awhile to figure it out ,but the stutters were due to my hard drive and swap file usage.

Anyway as far as the 8600, that is not enough card to run Crysis on "high" with. You might get by with it a 1024X768 with medium settings across the board, or some high settings with shaders/shadows set to low. Some settings you can get away with on "high" but you have to play with it. As soon as you hit the ice levels, all bets are off.

It won't hurt to clock your CPU up a bit either if your motherboard/memory allow. The physics calculations are very CPU dependant.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Over50

Over50

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:30 AM

I recently bought Crysis (Special Edition if that matters) and i should be able to run it according to the required specs listed on the box. I have also gone to systemrequirementslab.com which told me i could run it at pretty much everything on high.

The problem is that when i run it i can only get about 800x600 resolution and almost all settings on low to run smoothly and even then it dips below smooth occasionally. I have done some searching and everything i've seen has told me i should at least be able to run it at 1024x750 on medium-high settings.

If you know why this isnt working too well or what i can do to fix it that would be totally awesome. If its because its too weak, then if you could let me know how to overclock it that would be cool too.

here's my specs: (and im pretty sure it is my video card if it IS anything)

CPU: Core 2 Duo- 2.55Ghz
RAM: 2GB corsair
Video: nVidia e-Geforce 8600GT
HDD: 320GB SATA

if you need anything else then let me know

I know I'm a bit late to the party given the date of this thread, but this Crysis system tweak guide should help you get the most out of what you have to work with.

Edited by Over50, 19 January 2009 - 12:31 AM.

CM Cosmos S case, EVGA 750i SLI FTW, 860W PCPC PS,
E8400 w/Zalman 9700 cooler, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 216 Core SC, X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card
CH 568 USB Joystick, Pro Pedals and Yoke, Windows XP Home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users