Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How to Disable PPPoE?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chillykim

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:14 PM

Hey all-
I recently installed SBCglobal DSL and am having trouble with it. I contacted 2wire and they told me that I need to disable PPPoE, but that they can not tell me how to do this because it is not allowed (different company)!!
Help! The problem that I am having is that the indicator lights on the wireless gateway are orange instead of green. I searched the board and have not been able to find "how to disable PPPoE". Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! chillly :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:41 AM

Not familiar with this one but in general with wireless setups if you connect using a cable then go through the set up routine using the disk supplied with the router and point your browser to the Internet address supplied with the documentation (it usually looks like 192.xx.xx.xx) you should find you are able to move to a page which includes PPPoA, PPPoB etc. Select the appropriate one (usually PPPoA) save etc out of the setup routine. Then shut both the computer and the router down and remove the cable. Restart the router and the computer and all should be well for the wireless connection.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

#3 Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:36 AM

I'd need a lot more info on your Internet connection hardware and your computer systems before I could commment, but there is a MS fact sheet on using PPoE here:

Do you have a manual or support website for the wireless gateway? That might be a better place to start to find out what the orange lights mean, rather than chasing ideas from a third party.

Edited by Rimmer, 22 May 2005 - 08:42 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users