Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop won't restart it just keeps trying to over and over and over

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pattirose

pattirose

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:50 PM

Happy New Year everyone! I realize it may be awhile until I get an answer so I will be patient and hopefully my laptop won't croak again before I get an answer. I have a HP Pavillion dv9000 with Vista and the service pack and it's a year and a half old.
AMD Athlon™ 64X2 dual core processor TK53 1GB Ram 1.7 GHz 32 bit home premium and Norton and about 40 GB free hard drive space right now.

Problem is if I hit the restart it won't, it just keeps trying to start, shuts off, tries again, etc. until I get annoyed and use the power button to shut it down then keep using the power button to turn it on and off until it eventually kicks in and starts. Today I did the start-up repair thing and it said it couldn't fix it so I opted for system restore then hit the restart and the on/off thing again. I put in the recovery disk but it didn't do anything- same on/off thing again till I got mad and hit the power button to shut it down. Then I tried again (with the power button) and luckily it started so I'm okay for now.

This exact same thing happened a few days ago also, but today it was preceeded by me incorrectly loading a dvd into the burner, I found out later it wasn't pressed down exactly right, it started making a funny singing sound as it was trying to start the dvd, I had to use the power button to stop it and then it wouldn't start back up again.

I'm hoping this is an easy fix and someone knows whats going on. I haven't installed anything for ages, I had problems with a couple updates and I had to uninstall them because it kept shutting down and going blue screen but that was a couple months ago and it's been okay since. I've ran Spybot a couple times in the past few months never found anything, Norton never finds anything. Every now and then my desktop disappears but comes back when I restart and my (E) drive for cds/dvds also disappeared a couple months ago but I did get it back after a few tries. Computer doesn't feel hot and the air coming from the fan isn't hot either.

I'm wondering if I should do system restore to it's original factory settings before it dies again and I can't restart it, (which I've never done) and if that would solve the problem? Or not using the dvd/cd burner anymore? Or never shutting my laptop off? I can't afford a new one and whenever I took my previous laptop in to be fixed all they ever did was give me a huge bill and say I most likely had a virus and did a complete system restore on it anyways.

I hope this wasn't too long to read and would appreciate any help anyone is kind enough to offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:50 PM

If you're not attached to the current installation, a backup of your data and restore to factory settings should work around any software issues that may be occurring.

If the reset doesn't fix it, then it's likely to be a hardware issue - and we'd start troubleshooting that with a diagnostic from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive. Links to the more common ones are in this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 pattirose

pattirose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

thank you for the reply - appreciate it.

What is the best or easiest way to restore to factory settings? From the disc they mailed me or the HP recovery that takes up all of drive D?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

You should be able to press F11 as the computer first boots - and that'll start the recovery process. Most HP's will start this way, but others will require the recovery disks to be in the drive when you try it.

This will wipe out everything and will put your computer back to the state it was on the day it left the factory. On the plus side, this only takes a couple of hours and, when it's done, you'll be able to tell if the problem is fixed or not.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users