Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wolfsaiga

wolfsaiga

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:12 PM

well it started like 3-5 days ago i attempted to scan my computer overnight for viruses with a squared freeware and superantispyware and i turn the power off of my modem, at and t, so that a random virus doesn't attack me while i scan for viruses. when i woke up there was nothing harmfull scanned so i deleted some trace cookies and ect.

my modem wouldn't work for 10 hours i tried once every hour or 2 and then it reestablish connection, i try to download something to test out if it was fast a amv video from veoh, it was as fast but then the next day it was slow so i tried to dl the same amv the dl speed was about half the normal. I have IE6.

Ideas of possible causes.
  • IE6, didn't dl the new verson or or the new beta
  • maybe a virus my scanners couldn't track
  • or i heard that internet company are slowing broadband speed and stuff if u dl p2p online and i think the veo thing may count as that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:31 AM

Hi wolfsaiga,

There can be different reasons for your internet slowing down. The time frame you mention (starting 3-5 days ago) is during the week between Christmas and New Years. There are times during the year when there's more activity than others and it's possible that you may have been experiencing some overload that will go back down as soon as the holidays are over.

As a test, however, you could go back to an earlier restore point from when it was working and see if that makes a difference.
If you've never done this before, Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
check the box to Restore my computer to an earlier time and click on Next. You'll see a calendar with highlighted dates. Choose one of the dates just preceeding these problems and allow your system to return to that date. See if the problem goes away.

If this doesn't work, go back into System Restore as per the above instructions, only this time choose the option to reverse the change you just made.

Also, ATT modems disconnect when they are unplugged. I unplugged one to stop activity that was showing while my computer was turned off (twice) and in both cases, I had to call ATT the following day to have them reset it. There's something they do at their end.

Did any of the above information help?
Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users