Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to restart

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 G0N

G0N

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:48 PM

My computer is totally infected with spyware and I want to give up and start over again. I have some files I want to keep. What is the best way of keeping these while I scrap everything else without keeping the viruses??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:43 PM

How big are the files you want to keep?
There are several methods depending on the size and types of files.

Do you have a cd or dvd burner, or a second hard drive?

#3 computingelite

computingelite

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:30 AM

Then why not remove the spyware with spybot search and destroy or adaware se, or even better- both :thumbsup:

#4 G0N

G0N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:48 PM

I've tried various anti-spyware programs but they have not worked even in safe mode.

I do have a CD burner but can I use this without transfering the virus' and adware?

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:18 PM

Just a thought on your problem. Which system are you using? I 'm no computer wizz expert but, if your on XP, I had a similar problem only last week. An absolute corrupt copy of XP which had been installed on a second computer I had bought really cheap. Do a complete clean re-install, works wonders , worth the 50 minutes it takes. Just be ruthless. But careful......................... :thumbsup:

Edited by Bonneville, 19 May 2005 - 04:21 PM.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#6 G0N

G0N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

I'm on XP and didn't have any problems for quite a while, then one day the problems started, and I started detecting things. SO I think its a virus and adware problem

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

Do you have a Windows Restore point set for before your problems started?

If you do - just use it to reset the computer to pre-problem configuration.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:52 AM

I do have a CD burner but can I use this without transfering the virus' and adware?

You cannot be really sure unless you get your Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware programs working so you can clean the files you want to save. If you just burn the CD and restore the system then try to reload the files your AV could say they are infected, it is unable to clean them and they need to be deleted. Then you are sunk.

I realise you said you want to reload but there is expert help available on this site to help you clean your system if you can be patient. You can post an HJT log in the HijackThis analysis forum - see the "How to use this Forum" pinned posts there. Here's a link to the tutorial - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s_Log-t956.html

Edited by Rimmer, 20 May 2005 - 03:58 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 G0N

G0N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:47 AM

Do you have a Windows Restore point set for before your problems started?

If you do - just use it to reset the computer to pre-problem configuration.

How do I check and do this?

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:57 PM

Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 G0N

G0N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 11:49 AM

great, and what do I stand to lose by doing this? files? programs?

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:08 PM

System restore only effects certain system files in the registry, and will not delete any user stored files (graphic file types, Office files, etc.). Some applications that have been installed after the restore point was created may need to be reinstalled.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users