Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 98 startup problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 marksv4

marksv4

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:43 PM

I am new to this board so i apreciate your help and patience. My Celeron 300 Win98, Office 2000 machine is sick. Upon startup I receive the following messages at the desktop stage:

cannot find C: windows\system\esbfwa.exe
cannot find svcpack.exe
cannot find ocraware.exe

I do not have the Win98 cd that was installed on the machine. Even in safe mode I cannot view any files.
If I just pul ot the old 4.3 g Fujitsu hd and replace with another will I then be able to reload Op system and software and drivers?

Thank you all very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:09 PM

The files look like malware/spyware. You should follow the instructions in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum and post your hijackthis log. Instructions are provided in this forum.

Good-luck,

Joshuacat
JC

#3 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:06 AM

ocraware.exe is part of optical character recognition for a scanner. The other two are unknown. If you plant another HD in the beast, you can install a fresh copy of the OS on it, then mount the old 4G Fujitsu as slave drive and recover your data. But I would install antimalware/antivirus, antispyware, and other security provisions first in case you got bit on the old drive...
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:27 PM

From Castlecops the following file looks to be bad. It is either one of the options listed below:

SVC Service X svcpack.exe CoolWebSearch parasite related.

Srvce Pack Updte X svcpack.exe Added by a variant of the WIN32.RBOTWORM!

This file does not look like a valid file either:
C: windows\system\esbfwa.exe
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users