Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cdrom and usb only works in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vict0r

vict0r

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:38 PM

The XP Pro box does have a cd-rom and usb problem. Both cd-rom and usb work perfectly under safe mode but does not work at all after booting normally!

There are no error messages and no problems found in "device manager".

Problem occurred after infections (now removed). There's no restore point.

I tried to reinstall the cdrom-driver and I even tried to manually remove the old drivers for XP to use fresh ones. I don't know if I did it correct.

I'm really in need for som help here, I don't know what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:24 AM

Hi vict0r,

The repair of malware can lead to damage to existing files in some cases. Go to Start / Run and copy-paste or type in sfc /scannow and click on ok. The scan will look for missing or corrupt files and try to repair or replace them with good ones. It may ask you to insert your windows cd.

Let me know how this goes.

Zllio

#3 vict0r

vict0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:20 AM

Hi, thanks for helping.

Actually the cdrom and usb did not function before the malware-repair.

The sfc-scan has finished. I went to eat lunch and when I came back the program box (scan) was gone(!). There was no scanreport. Is this normal if the scan does not find anything?

-vict0r

Edited by vict0r, 01 January 2009 - 09:21 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:41 AM

It's normal for no report when running sfc /scannow.

The fact that the window was closed is normally indicative that the command has finished.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 January 2009 - 09:41 AM.

#5 vict0r

vict0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:17 AM

Ok. It didn't solve my problem.

I did some further testing and I need to revise the problem description.

It seems that access to the cdrom and removable disks are somehow blocked. There are no error messages when trying to access the cdrom, but testing a usb-disk shows me a "no access"-errormessage (they work under safe-mode!).

I just tested a usb-webcam and I was suprised to see that it works.

Edited by vict0r, 01 January 2009 - 10:19 AM.

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:31 AM

Hi vict0r,

I've been hunting around for some information. One thing to note is that the functioning or non-functioning of both the cd-rom and the usb may or may not have the same cause. It's often safe to assume that they do, but best to keep in mind that there could be separate issues.

There's a lot in the below thread if you start at page 2 and read through page 3. Also, at another site, someone was able to fix a similar problem with their cd rom by replacing the IDE cable. One thing I saw in the thread below was the suggestion to show hidden devices. To do this, go to Start / Run and right click on My Computer. Select Properties and then the Hardware tab. Click on the Device Manager. In the device manager, go to View and select Show Hidden Devices. Then expand the relevant entries in the device manager and see if you can find any yellow warning signs next to anything. Try this both in Safe Mode and Normal Mode.

This is the thread I mentioned: http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-s...-how-fix-2.html

Please post back if anything here leads (or does not lead) to a solution.
Thanks.

Zllio

#7 vict0r

vict0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

I found this and did the "Method 2: Test the CD or DVD drive in a 'clean boot' state":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321641/

The cd-rom worked (Do'h!)

So I figured I had to do some intense research about which program was interfering with the cd-rom.

I restarted in Normal state and tried to access the cdrom again expecting to see Windows Explorer not beeing able to show the content and no error messages, like before.

Now a message from "Acer eLock Managment" pops up from the system tray telling med the optical drive is locked!!!

This has never been displayed before nor is this software ever been used on this computer. I started this program and it displays that everything is unlocked(!) and to access the setting one has to create(!) a password (first time use!)!!! :thumbsup:

I just closed it without creating a password and tested access to the cdrom again... after all the program told me it was unlocked -> no access + message that it is locked! :flowers: :trumpet:

Well... I then started the Acer eDataSecurity Management software (also part of the Acer Empowering Technology software-bundle) It has also never been used before so it displayed a licence agreement to accept and asked me to create a password... I just closed all the windows without creating a password.

Now I'm about to stop more testing for today, but I try to access the cd-rom one last time and guess WHAT! It WORKS!!! :inlove: :cool: :)

Now I just have to test that removable drive but I guess the problem is solved...

So why did the system prevent me from accessing the cd-rom and removable drives and why is it working now? I guess I will never know :P

#8 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

vict0r,

I wonder if this was originally a malware or a software issue. I did find a reference from 2007 of someone trying unsuccessfully to uninstall Acer eLock Management from their computer.
As long as it is now working, I wouldn't recommend doing anything further, but the following link gives a brief tutorial on the tool. You have to download the pdf file to read it. The program could be useful, but if you lose your password, you have to take your Acer to the manufacturer to have it reset.

http://websupport.acer.com.tw/support/doc/...a=s22&id=70

I also wonder if it shows up if you go to Start / Run and copy-paste in services.msc
Do you find the program in that list, and if so, what is the status and start-up type?

Zllio

#9 vict0r

vict0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:20 AM

Acer eLock Management is not run at startup nor is it listed under services.msc
It seems it's just a configuration utility...

The Acer software run at startup are these:
eRecovery\Monitor.exe
eDataSecurity\eDSloader.exe
admtray.exe
awtray.exe
(from the c:\Programfiles\Acer\Empowering Technology\ folder)

They are run from the registry entries in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I find it a bit strange that the computer must be sent to the manufacturer to be reset if the password is lost.
Is it stored in the hardware? :thumbsup:

If you want to further reasearch if this was a malware issue, you can take a look at the logs from the malware cleanup:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/180485/cid-httpwwwadserver5com-etc-help/

Thanks for your interest and help with this issue. It was your link in post #6 in this topic which eventually lead me to "resolving" this problem.

If you have got futher questions feel free to ask them. If this was infact malware related it would be nice to find the reason and maybe write something in a malware removal library.

-vict0r

Edited by vict0r, 05 January 2009 - 08:22 AM.

#10 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:56 AM

Hi vict0r,

I'm glad it's working and I appreciate your posting back about it. I went through your malware thread, but couldn't tell you if your particular culprits were behind this problem or not, however, I'm glad to know the possibility exists. One of the problems with malware is that it's sometimes sloppy and has side-effects which were not necessarily intended by the inventor, so it is possible that it somehow interacted with the Acer software.

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users