Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Runtime Error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 muddflapp

muddflapp

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:40 PM

I dont know when it happened or how it happened. I first noticed it when my AVG8 wouldn't update anymore. I then tried to open windows explore and I kept getting a runtime error and it would shut down. I can't download any programs because it always tries to use IE and that wont open up....I have ran AVG in a scan and it shows no virus. I need help please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vict0r

vict0r

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

Did you try to start Internet Explorer without addons and check if you still are unable to download anything?

If not click Start-Run, type "iexplore -extoff" in the box (without the ""), click ok.

#3 muddflapp

muddflapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

I tried what you said and the IE window popped up with absoultly no icons or anything on it...then I get a "Microsoft Visuall C ++Runtime Library" window and it says "Runtime Error" Program: C:Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe This application has asked Runtime to terminate it in an unusuall way. Then the report window for reporting to Microsoft pops up

#4 vict0r

vict0r

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

If you do not mind losing your Internet Explorer customizations, please try the following.

# Click Start, and then click Run
# Type Inetcpl.cpl, and then press ENTER. The Internet Options dialog box opens
# Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset

A dialog box appears that asks you to confirm the following:

Are you sure you want to reset all Internet Explorer settings?

# Click Reset to confirm that you want to reset all Internet Explorer settings.
# After Internet Explorer finishes restoring the settings, click Close or OK to close all dialog boxes

Tell me if it solved the problem.

Edited by vict0r, 01 January 2009 - 07:41 PM.

#5 muddflapp

muddflapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

nothing happens. I can't get the internet options dialog box to open up either. I killed IE...lol

#6 vict0r

vict0r

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:38 AM

nothing happens. I can't get the internet options dialog box to open up either. I killed IE...lol

hehe... Actually I did not really believe this would fix your problem.

You can try this (this may fix your problem):

Open notepad and copy and paste the following lines into the notepad window:

regsvr32 /u /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32 /u /s mshtml.dll
regsvr32 /u /s shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 /u /s browseui.dll
regsvr32 /u /s jscript.dll
regsvr32 /u /s vbscript.dll
regsvr32 /u /s scrrun.dll
regsvr32 /u /s msxml.dll
regsvr32 /u /s actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 /u /s softpub.dll
regsvr32 /u /s wintrust.dll
regsvr32 /u /s dssenh.dll
regsvr32 /u /s rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /u /s gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 /u /s sccbase.dll
regsvr32 /u /s slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 /u /s cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 /u /s oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 /u /s ole32.dll
regsvr32 /u /s shell32.dll
regsvr32 /u /s initpki.dll
regsvr32 /u /s msjava.dll
regsvr32 /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32 /s mshtml.dll
regsvr32 /s shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 /s browseui.dll
regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
regsvr32 /s vbscript.dll
regsvr32 /s scrrun.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
regsvr32 /s actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
regsvr32 /s wintrust.dll
regsvr32 /s dssenh.dll
regsvr32 /s rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /s gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s sccbase.dll
regsvr32 /s slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
regsvr32 /s shell32.dll
regsvr32 /s initpki.dll
regsvr32 /s msjava.dll

Save the file as c:\reregisterie.cmd
Click Start and then click Run.
Type c:\reregisterie.cmd, and then press ENTER. A Command Prompt window will open to run the script and then close.
Restart Windows

Tell me if it made a difference ;)

#7 muddflapp

muddflapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:35 PM

Well Victor, nothing changed...lol. I appreciate all your efforts and am willing to keep on listening. I still get the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime LIbrary window pop up as stated in previous post. I don't know if it helps you, but, when I start up Windows, I get two error windows that pop up...Saying" An internal error occurred in the intitialization stage and this application could not be started...they are Errors # 302 twice and Error #502 once. Does that help in finding the solution to my problem?

#8 vict0r

vict0r

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

Those error messages tell me nothing. They seem to be http error messages (but can be other error messages). Do they tell which program issued these errormessages? Did you consider if your computer is infected with something malicious? If you at this point think your computer might be infected, please post a HijackThis log in the "HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal"-forum (here at BC).

It's actually not a big effort yet. You can find the fixes I suggested here:

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/8722

...under "Get guided help for Internet Explorer crash problems".

I skipped a few steps I really don't think will fix your problem, try them if you want.

The next suggestion from that guide is to start in a "clean boot" state as described here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

If IE7 does not work in the clean boot state, the suggestion is to reinstall IE7!

Finally I'm now wondering if your computer has got network access. I think at this point you should you should definitely check.

The HJT Team can easily spot if the log indicates a infection. If you do post a log, tell them about the error messages and your problems with IE7 and if you still got network access (and any other problems).

Edited by vict0r, 02 January 2009 - 02:59 PM.

#9 muddflapp

muddflapp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for you help. I ended up backing everything up and doing a system restore. It works now. It is probably not the best way to do it, but I took the easy way out.

#10 vict0r

vict0r

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

Yeah, that's often the fastest way around.

I'm getting a new computer next week and I will set it up as I want with all the settings, antivirus and antispyware as I want them . Then I will make a compressed image and store it for emergency recovery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users