Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UBS Drives not visible in Explorer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OHGGladiator

OHGGladiator

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

I have looked almost everywhere for help with this.

A couple days ago I plugged in my Sandisk Titanium 4GB Flash Drive. The windows sound indicated that a new USB device was inserted. I went to Windows Explorer and it was not listed. I have had this drive for a while so I figured maybe it went out on me. So I grabbed another....same thing. I even went as far as getting a NEW 16-in-1 card reader but in an SD card....same thing. I started to worry about my USB ports, so I plugged in a webcam...that worked fine. I searched google and one post told me to see if I could see my flash drive through the sommand prompt. I was able to see it and the corresponding letter assigned. In the "safely remove hardware" dialogue It shows the drive letter assigned.
I have not changed anything in my system except for an HP J4680 printer which is connected wirelessly. Here are screenshots taken at same time as they were opened of my computer, cmd, and remove hardware dialogue
TIA

Attached Files

Edited by OHGGladiator, 31 December 2008 - 06:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:04 AM

Hi OHGGladiator,

Does the printer start up with the computer automatically or do you turn it on manually? If you are turning your printer on manually, what happens if you turn it off, restart the computer, and then plug in the flash drive. Does it then show up?

Alternatively, if your printer starts up automatically when you boot up, try using the Windows diagnostic tool in msconfig to prevent the printer from loading at startup. If you've never used msconfig, go to Start / Run and copy-paste or type in msconfig and click ok. In the Window that opens up, check Diagnostic Mode. The go to the Startup tab and look for any entries for your printer. (There may be one or more than one.) Check everything to start up as normal, but make sure any program related to the HP printer is unchecked. Then reboot your computer and try the flashdrive again. Is it recognized in this case?

Zllio

#3 OHGGladiator

OHGGladiator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

Thanks Zllio,
That didn't fix it....but it did turn off all my services lol Compy was kinda useless. So I turned ALL my services back on....that was worse HAHAHA. My system is pretty streamlined and normally I have between 11 and 15 processes total running on my box. with full functionality. I am not mad. as a matter of fact i went through my msconfig...disabled all...then on to services to re-tweak my system. Lo and behold I noticed that "Removable storage" service was set to manual. In my never-ending quest to tweak the heck outta my system I must have inadvertently shut it off lol. I still owe you thanks since doing all this led me to the end result ;)
You da man!!

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:55 AM

Well hey ... um .... thanks! :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users