Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compatibility with new printer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 violetdoright

violetdoright

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

12/31/2008

I hope this is the forum I should be in to find out about a compatibility issue I have with my computer and a new printer. My computer is a compac presario amd athlon™ 1 ghz, 256mb with microsoft xp pro 2002 on it. I was here in malware and then another forum last month. I have converted to firefox instead of internet explorer 7. Ok enough background my new printer is a kodak easyshare 5300. I have always used hp's before and they are just plug and play. the kodak says that I need a VIA Rev5 or later USB Universal host controller USB Root Hub: USB composite device so that i can run most of the scan, copy, and memory card info. Question is do I need a driver, actual usb device or some other thingamajig to make this thing more useful. Any response would be helpful!
Violet :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Can you look on the front/side/back of your system and tell us what model Compaq Presario it is? This is usually expressed in numerals or a comination of numerical/alphabetical characters, as in the following link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodTop...lc=en&cc=us

Louis

#3 violetdoright

violetdoright
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:33 AM

thank you for getting back to me so quickly ~ it is a Campaq presario 5000.
:thumbsup:

Edited by violetdoright, 01 January 2009 - 11:34 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

After endless research leading me nowhere...I conclude that you need to install a USB 2.0 controller card in order to run your all-in-one.

I can't even trace your system specs to see if USB ports exist, but I will guess that they do and that they are 1.0.

In any case, buying one of the following and installing it in your system...will give you the capability of using your device.

Example only: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815106505

If you have USB connectivity on that system...please let us know.

Louis

#5 violetdoright

violetdoright
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

so Louis what you're saying is I need this USB 2.0 to support the kodak printer? correct? Hmmm is my system just too old for you to trace any info on. I do have 2 USB ports on the front and as near as I can tell without manhandling the tower too much I think at least 2 maybe 3 on the back. I followed the link you suggested to see what the new USB device looks like ~ I appreciate your advice and I will update you when I go further.
K

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

OK :thumbsup:.

If you have USB ports, they may only be USB 1.0 or 1.1 spec...which means that they might not be fast enough to run an all-in-one or a printer designed for USB 2.0 specs.

And...it's possible that your USB controllers are dead...the drivers are corrupt.

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter or OK. Do you see any yellow or red markings by any device? If you do, that would probably indicate a driver problem, although every driver problem will not leave an indication in Device Manager.

It's not uncommon for any system's original USB ports to stop functioning...it's happened to several of us who frequent the forum. The workaround is simply to have a USB 2.0 controller card handy and install it when problems arise.

Louis

#7 MickeyG

MickeyG

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:56 PM

May I chime in here? I'm new but I have just worked on a Compaq Presario 5000 with the same issue and the ports available are only USB 1.0. Louis is correct, Violet needs a USB 2.0 PCI card. It is a hardware issue and driver updates/firmware updates to the existing USB ports will not resolve the issue.

I hope that I'm not out of order and at least confirming what Louis has already suspected.

MickeyG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users