Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Defragement Drive.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

Hi,

Useing winxp sp3. I tried to do a defrg of my C drive and got the messege Can't defragement drive! I then tried to do this in Safe Mode and got the same result. Has anyone had expeience with this sort of thing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bignight2

bignight2

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:29 PM

I did once I now have to run it form control panel/admin tools/double click computer managment then try to run defrag from there

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:44 PM

Is that the total, exact error message received?

Louis

#4 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

Hi,

Useing winxp sp3. I tried to do a defrg of my C drive and got the messege Can't defragement drive! I then tried to do this in Safe Mode and got the same result. Has anyone had expeience with this sort of thing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Has it been a long time since you've defragmented?

There are several technical approaches to defragging, but most require that you have enough free space on your hard disk for a copy of the largest file that needs defragging. Typically defraggers just require some percentage of free space, like 10% or 15%.

This might help:

Go to RUN in the start up menu, then type in msconfig, go to the startup tab and uncheck all the start up items, then restart pc, now defrag and you should have no problem. Remember to check them back on after defrag.

or check this link:

http://ask-leo.com/why_wont_some_files_defrag.html

or

There are plenty of very good and free defragmenters if you want to try another. But stick with just one or they will conflict and you will end up defragging all the time since they use different methods and ways of measuring degree of fragmentation. IOBit has a boot time defragger and can be scheduled. They all do a very good job, and there is no evidence that any is better than another. The point is to avoid heavy fragmentation. Beyond that, your system will run exactly the same and just as fast.

Free defraggers:
Swift Disk Defrag
IObit Smart Defrag (Schedule and boot defrag.)
Defraggler
Auslogics Disk Defrag
DefragNT
WinContig
Ultra Defragmenter
Defrag GUI (GUI for native defrag.exe.)
DIRMS 1.2.20 Defragger (command-line)
JKDefragGUI
Disk Idle Optimizer
Power Defragmenter
Diskeeper Lite
O&O Defrag 2000 Freeware
DefragMentor Lite (Boot-time and command-line.)

(PageDefrag is good to use with all the above in XP. It does a boot-time defrag of all the major locked files.)

Edited by karbo1, 31 December 2008 - 05:20 PM.

Please post back if we found the solution

#5 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

Attached File  untitled.JPG   72.45KB   23 downloads

This is the screenshot.

Thank you for the suggestions I have tried all the methods except installing a new defragger program. I'm stuck :thumbsup: .

#6 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:10 PM

Try a program then. It might be what you need.
Please post back if we found the solution

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

How large is the hdd, and how much free space do you have? If the hdd is too full you won't be able to defrag it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Deegem

Deegem

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:43 AM

Check in services that the "DCOM Server Process Launcher" is set to Auto and has started?

#9 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:14 AM

HDD is 224GB Used is 164, Free 72percent

Check in services that the "DCOM Server Process Launcher" is set to Auto and has started?

Sorry, I'm not familier with this. Can you clarify?
Thank you.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

To check the DCOM thing, got to Start...Run...and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Scroll down the list until you get to the DCOM entry - then check to make sure it says "Started" and "Automatic"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:41 PM

Thanks usasma :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users