Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 peleplsp

peleplsp

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

I am runing Windows XP SP2 and am unable to install Flash Player from any source. I used the uninstaller successfully (I believe) but no luck. Has anyone had to resort to editing the registry for permission problems or am I missing something easier?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:34 PM

See if this link helps.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten...7&sliceId=1

#3 peleplsp

peleplsp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:56 AM

Thanks I can't open the link. Can you tpe the whole link?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:33 AM

Link works fine for me.

Louis

#5 peleplsp

peleplsp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

I managed to find the link. It is no help. Thanks anyway.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

Are you sure you uninstalled the old version? What browser are you using?

#7 peleplsp

peleplsp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:25 AM

IE7. I followed the instructions on the Adobe tn_19166, installed the uninstaller to the desktop, ran it; it said completed and indicated the programs/files that were removed.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:21 AM

So what happens when you try to install Flash 10?

#9 peleplsp

peleplsp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

I get a message box that says installation failed and it provides the link that directs me to the Adobe Technical Note that tells me to do what I already did.

#10 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

Perhaps Dial-A-Fix will do the trick. It cleans your installler program. This is BleepingComputers article about it - it has a download link as well. What other install programs have you? InstallShield or some other program? Then search it or them on your PC, open it/them, find the updater option the programs toolbar and use it. Sometimes it's sitting under "Help". At times installation problems can be caused by outdated zip programs that can't handle the download format but that is hardly the case here. Finally this is a link for The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. Give that a run also. Going through all these installers just might get the download rolling.

If the problem persists you'll need to start scanning your PC for malware. You could run a full scan with the two best freeware anti-malware scanners on the marked today. Run them one by one - full scan. Both can remove what they find:

SUPERAntiSpyware - download link: http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - download link: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

You should keep them afterwards. They really are the best that you can buy for no money at all. :thumbsup: Additional realtime protection, however, will cost you.

Also these fine online scanners will do an excellent job - run one or two full scans with two different online scanners. The ones mentioned above are better, though: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252

Finally the free online Windows Live OneCare safety scanner automatically defragments your files, cleans up your registry, updates all Microsoft's programs and repair damaged Windows files. It is excellent but you do need to run at least two of the above mentioned anti-malware programs or online scanners first. This fine online OneCare scanner is grossly underestimated in my view - link: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

If those steps didn't bring any progress a scannow would be your next choice. Article here.

Edited by ePost, 04 January 2009 - 07:02 PM.

#11 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

Oh and empty cache and cookies. Could actually be as simple as that. CCleaner is very good at the job - download link here.

#12 peleplsp

peleplsp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:44 AM

Thanks. I'll try that.

Any suggestions on free virus protection now that AVG is no longer free?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

Avira's AntiVir Personal Edition does the job for me, http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=9...dd7756deb50bbbd

Be careful where you click...click the Click Here If It Does Not button at the top.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users