Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cp-Poo

Cp-Poo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

Hello,

I purchased a Trendnet TEW-652BRP [http://trendnet.com/langen/products/proddetail.asp?prod=150_TEW-652BRP&cat=41] wireless router earlier today and have found that I

cannot get it running properly. The problem lies in that I do not have a proper DSL modem but a Netopia 3347NWG which is a modem and a router combined. I was wondering if it is

possible to use this modem /router as a DSL modem which in turn can connect to my new router. I would have already connected it to my computer but both modem/router and

router use ethernet and I need to connect both somehow to the computer to get a connection, however, my PC (Windows XP) only has one ethernet port . I have tried bridging my

Netopia router to the Trendnet by connecting the two via ethernet in their respective LAN ports but to no avail, the WAN light on the Trendnet just won't light up.

Is it possible to use this Netopia 3347NWG [http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/3347nwg006.html] as a modem or is there another way to get this router up and running?

I hope this is clear enough and Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I'll explain my wired setup and you can figure out what ought to be.

I have a router and a modem. My cable connects to directly to my cable modem. The ethernet port on the modem then connects to the Internet port on the router. My two PCs then connect to any of the 4 LAN ports on the router.

So it seems to me that your modem-router (which is your residential gateway) output (Internet) needs to connect via Cat 5 to the WAN port (for incoming signal) on your router. I've not seen a wireless router which does not allow for wired connection, but I guess it can happen. FWIW, I have a Trendnet router (wired).

Since you are using a wireless router, the computers can connect either wirelessly or wired (should still have 4 ports for wired connections). I just checked the specs and you do. These are your LAN ports.

If you are going wireless on your computers, each system will need the capability for picking up the wireless signals emitted by the router and will need to be properly configured. I don't do wireless, so I know nothing about this.

If wired, the computers just connect via Cat 5 to the LAN ports of the Trendnet router.

If you received any instructions for setting up your router, follow those.

If I've botched this, someone will correct the instructions :huh:.

Louis

#3 Cp-Poo

Cp-Poo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:51 PM

I'd just like to say thanks and that you've completely sorted out my problem. I was getting confused somewhere along the way by plugging the ethernet cable from

Netopia router/modem to the Trendnet router's (which is wired) Lan 1 instead of (correctly) putting it in the WAN port.

Thanks alot ! :thumbsup:

Edited by Cp-Poo, 31 December 2008 - 06:52 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:12 PM

Easily done, happy new year :thumbsup:!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users