Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp hangs going into standby

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BK06

BK06

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:52 PM

so about a week ago, i was multitasking on my computer... you know running DVD, surfing the net on graphic-heavy sites (deviantart, conceptart, etc) when next thing i know my DVD window closes, firefox's quit prompter comes up, and the system shuts down, which is strange considering i have the auto shutdown disabled.
no error message, no blue screen, it all happened really fast.

i panicked of course, paranoid as i am, and thought "hack!", yanked the Ethernet cord form the wall.
i try and reload and at first i can't get normal mode running.
so i load into safe mode, which works fine and i start running AVG anti-spyware, Malwarebytes' anti-malware, spybot all of which are yielding nothing.
i rollback to a previous save point, and i reboot but now normal mode works, everything seems in order, running faster now that i notice, but the only thing i can't seem to do is go into standby, it just hangs. i used to use it all the time, sicne i don't like leaving my computer on all day, but loadup is sooo slow.
so i thought crap, my drivers got screwed, so i go uninstall the old ones, reinstall them. i try again and the standby prompted me with an error message saying i needed to update the drivers. so i update them, but now it still just hangs in the welcome screen with "preparing to stand by..."

i can only assume there might be some kind of process running in the background, but i'm unsure on how to check this aside from the [ctrl alt del] task manager in which i don't see anything, that or my RAM might be failing, since my computer is 4 years old and i've been running it at around 496 MB without a problem until now. but the device manager says it's okay.

i run a windows xp home edition, service pack 2.
gateway, pentium 4 cpu 3.06GHz, 496 MB of RAM
and jetico personal firewall

i tried service pack 3 a few months back, but had to rollback and uninstall it as it disabled my ability to drag and drop files, even when the system said it was enabled (which is a pain as i move files around a lot).

should i move this and repost in the HJT log forum? in case there's some kind of files i'm not seeing.
thanks for any help.
BK06

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:40 AM

Hi BK06,

The fact that an earlier restore point helped is a sign it probably wasn't overheating, but have you checked the machine for dust lately?

You can check which programs are loading at startup with msconfig (go to Start / Run and type in msconfig and hit ok). Select the start tab and see which programs are on there? Do they all look familiar or come up legit in Google?

Also, you may need more RAM? The machines from that era are great when you up the RAM. I don't know that this would help with the standby mode problem, but the amount of data your computer is processing now compared to four years ago is a big amount.

Zllio

#3 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:03 PM

BK06 do you have any anti-virus resident shield or other system protection stuff running? It's been my experience that hibernate/sleep type functions are one more opportunity for stuff in your system to get hosed. I don't even run my screen saver!! If it takes that long to boot you may want to reduce the number of autostart applications. Also you don't mention disk capacity and %free. If the disk is fragmented with little free space it may decide not to run well.

I have a Pentium 4 PC with 1 GB running XP. Even with a Gig when I start to work the machine the fans bump up to higher speed. Really noisy. The Pentium 4 was one of those CPUs I should have avoided except the PC generally was a good deal for the price at the time. My Vista PC is AMD dual core with 2 GB.
For the money I paid now you can get quad core with at least 6 GB ram. Stuff is expanding too fast to try to use old hardware.

I have a 2 PC setup so when I get a new machine, if a program I really need won't run on the new PC I can still run it on the old one. The lob the file over the network. It saves a lot of frustration. My desk is small so I use a KVMA switch so I only have one monitor and one keyboard on the desk. Works pretty well. Only thing is eventually I may have to move to Digital Monitor. But the setup has worked well for me. Still video stuff I do on my AMD machine takes 4 times longer on the Pentium 4 so I don't even bother. I surf the net with the Pentium machine while the AMD is churning doing video encodes.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#4 BK06

BK06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:15 PM

thanks guys.

its an gateway e-series minitower. with 120 GB and 30% freespace at the moment.

yeah i checked the startup menu, and everything came up legit, i did close a few apps that i really don't need, and it boots up a bit faster.
i defragged and dusted it only a month ago, but i took a look inside my box yesterday to see what kind of RAM i need. classic DDR 333MHz 184pin...which is rather cheap considering its an older stock.
also looking into the machine, i guess i never noticed how cramped the mini towers of the E series were, as there are ribbons running from the dvd/cd drive that drape right over one of the RAM sticks. and i can't move them or reposition them much. actually considering how it just to to slowly refresh the screen after i closed a web window, i am wondering if my RAM did get damaged. i'll order a new stick and see what that does,

i have AVG running in the background, but that's been there for over a year now, and would have caused a problem sooner i would think?

i talked to a friend who suggested checking the BIOS, though i'm not too sure what i'd be looking for...it's possible something could have been switched off?

hmm, might just be time to upgrade to a new computer.

Edited by BK06, 01 January 2009 - 06:16 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:26 PM

Just a thought, but I'd uninstall your graphics drivers from the Control Panel...Add/Remove Programs applet, then visit the website of the manufacturer of your video chipset and download the latest version of their drivers.

Sometimes Standby issues are directly affected by a minor corruption in the video drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 BK06

BK06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

tried the drivers already.

bought new/more RAM, still no change, aside from faster boot.

BIOs all seem to be in order. wow this might just be one of those unsolvable probs. its more of an inconvenience than anything serious (i hope), but thanks for the help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users