Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help. Connection messed up - badly!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 the_moose

the_moose

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:33 PM

Hi all. Sorry if this doesn't format correctly - I'm having to post it from my phone as I've completely messed up my internet connections on my computer.
I was using a BT Home Hub and foolishly decided it would be a good idea to change to a faster, more powerful Netgear router. I got part way through the installation disc and discovered that at first it wanted me to connect through an ethernet cable... our computer's a bit old so it hasn't got one. I thought I could get round that by using the BT installed wireless connection manager, but all I've managed to do is stop the home hub working too! I know I'm a complete plank and messing with stuff well above my pay grade, but could anyone give me any pointers on how to get ONE of my routers working again, so I can ask Netgear how to set it up without an ethernet cable?
Many thanks, and all the best for the New Year.
Cheers, Moose.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_moose

the_moose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

Sorry. I was in too much of a rush... The computer is a Dell desktop running Windows XP pro SP2. Cheers, Moose.

#3 the_moose

the_moose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

Hmmmm..... I'm a bit calmer now... I have discovered that somehow I managed to switch on an old (and defective) AVG firewall which blocks everything. I've disabled it and got my Zone Alarm running and I can now access the world wide web of lies as normal.

I've still got the problem with the new router, but I'll try Netgear for some help there. Sorry to have bothered you all!

Cheers, Moose.

Maybe one of the moderators could mark this as solved to save anyone the bother of reading it all???

Edited by the_moose, 31 December 2008 - 01:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users