Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless access

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 judda

judda

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

Is there any way I can change the password/access key to enable connection to the network via my wireless broadband.

A neighbour recently asked my wife how to use her computer and my wife inadvertantl gave her the access key to enable her to connect to my wireless broadband.

She is now using this constantly.

Rather than upset my neighbour by asking her not to use it, I would like to change the access key (if possible) so that next time she tries to log on it will not allow her to.

I connect to the broadband via a BT home hub 3E52 and my wireless connection is a Belkin Wireless G desktop card.

If this is possible, please put it in laymans terms so that I will be able to understand it.

Thank you in advance and time.

Judda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:35 PM

The method for changing your password varies based on the hub you use. You have to look in your hub/router's user guide for directions on how to log into the device. I think for British Telecom, you type into your browser, http://bthomehub.home You then need to find the WPA or other encryption settings to change your access code. If you change your password you, obviously, need to tell Windows or whatever you use to connect with the new password. Alternatively, you can change your settings to allow only computers with authorized MAC addresses (Think of a MAC address as a fingerprint, every connected device has a unique MAC address readable by the hub) to connect. Unauthorized devices cannot connect even if they have the password to log in. Using MAC filtering will slow your connection. You can also change your SSID, the name your hub transmits to identify your network, to prevent access since a user needs to know what network they are connecting to before they can use it. But if you live in a rural area without several nearby networks, it will be easy for your neighbor to determine what your new SSID is since there are a limited number of them.

3939.png

#3 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:04 PM

Hello DJBPace007, :huh:

Thank you for your welcome advice and link, I will read and hopefully inwardly digest :huh:.

I wish you a happy new year.

Judda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users