Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

only starts sometimes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 novice555

novice555

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:27 PM

this is an older computer and has just started to be temperamental about starting up. I push the on button on the front of the tower and sometimes it connects and sometimes it doesn't - is this something i can fix myself?
novice555

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:55 PM

You could possibly fix it yourself if you got lucky. I've had similar problems. Could be the switch, but that's a long shot. More likely, it's either the motherboard or the power supply. Do you know if this is an AT or an ATX? AT computers have a switch that connects directly to the power supply. ATX computers have a switch that connects to the motherboard, which stays hot all the time, even when "off." If an ATX, it could be either. If the power supply is old, that might be the place to start. If you have some kind of multitester, you could test the switch to see that it actually has contact when pushed.

#3 novice555

novice555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:32 PM

thank you Hark, I'll open it up & see what i can see

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users