Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep an eye out for CES 2009

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

Hey all, before any of you go to the stores to buy a new HDTV or Blu-Ray player or anything like that, you should sit tight and wait to see what the Consumer Electronics Show has to offer. It takes place from Jan. 8-11 in Vegas. Among the buzz is a 40" OLED HDTV (but don't count on being able to afford it). The show is a very good barometer of upcoming technology and gives you an idea of whether or not you should wait for a drool-inducing piece of technology to come out.

Here's the official site: http://www.cesweb.org/
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:14 PM

Um, maybe you should return you geek card for this one. CES has been around for a while.

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

Um, maybe you should return you geek card for this one. CES has been around for a while.

Oh sheesh, you don't think I know that? I know it's an annual event, it's something I look forward to each year. And NO, I'm keeping my geek card, thankyouverymuch.

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,099 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

This is CES' 42nd year.

The first CES took place in New York City in June of 1967 with 200 exhibitors and 17,500 attendees. Since then, CES has grown more than eleven-fold. Now, more than 2,700 exhibitors fill more than 1.7 million net square feet of exhibit space to showcase their latest products and services to more than 130,000 attendees.

Products that Debuted at CES
Videocassette Recorder (VCR), 1970
Laserdisc Player, 1974
Camcorder, 1981
Compact Disc Player, 1981
Digital Audio Technology, 1990
Compact Disc - Interactive, 1991
Mini Disc, 1993
Radio Data System, 1993
Digital Satellite System, 1994
Digital Versatile Disk (DVD), 1996
High Definition Television (HDTV), 1998 Hard-disc VCR (PVR), 1999
Digital Audio Radio (DAR), 2000
Microsoft Xbox, 2001
Plasma TV, 2001
Home Media Server, 2002
HD Radio, 2003
Blu-Ray DVD, 2003
HDTV PVR, 2003
HD Radio, 2004
IP TV, 2005
An explosion of digital content services, 2006
New convergence of content and technology, 2007
OLED TV, 2008

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:23 PM

This is CES' 42nd year.

And I think they should keep doing them unitl they get it right, too!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

Thanks Animal! You just gave all geeks and tech-philes a list of reasons why we should check out CES. Speaking of which, what do you think is the "Next Big Thing" that's going to debut this year?

A popular rumor is a Zune phone (although I don't know if that's going to be so hot in wake of that massive "Leap Year Bug" that happened not long ago).

There's some noise about NVIDIA unveiling something.

Touchscreen laptops is another buzz.

The Next Big Thing, I believe, will be long-realized commercialization of OLED technology, specifically for HDTVs. 3D, I think, will also make a big splash.

#7 Schwinnstingray1964

Schwinnstingray1964

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:21 AM

They always come up with something else...

Zune Phone? HaHa. I wouldnt use a zune as storage space. let alone a phone...

Thats why i rock the Psp1000 and a SonyEricsson W300i. :D Sony for life son. lol.
::'00 Thinkpad:::'09 Aspire One:::'07 WL1:::'10 SS2::

If its got two B's its for me. BlackBerry for ever.

"The problem is not that we have too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed right."

--White Lightning 1 & The Silver Surfer 2-- Anybody for TF2???

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

Did you hear about the HDTV that was .98" thick? I forget who is making it, but that is crazy.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#9 Schwinnstingray1964

Schwinnstingray1964

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

Did you hear about the HDTV that was .98" thick? I forget who is making it, but that is crazy.

Thats insane.

My hdtv is at least 2 feet thick (Projection)

"The problem is not that we have too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed right."

#10 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:00 PM

That would probably be an OLED television. Keep an eye out for this amazing technology. Mark my words, OLED is the future of not only HDTV but also lighting. It will render fluorescent lights and possibly incandescent lights obsolete.

For those who are curious as to what OLED is, here's some quick facts:

OLED = Organic Light Emitting Diode

Because each LED directly gives off light when active, there is no need for a back lighting like TVs of today, which is why OLED TVs are so thin.

The contrast ratio, colors, as well as display angles far exceeds than that of the best plasma and LCD HDTVs on the market.

Maybe the best part of all is that OLED technology uses a fraction of the energy that current TVs and conventional lights uses. A light bulb, for example, gives off MUCH more heat energy than it does light. OLED is almost entirely all light energy, making it extremely efficient. This is a HUGE reason why the U.S. Dept. of Energy is investing heavily in the technology as once we hit a breakthrough in commercial and mass-market applications, we are likely to see a significant drop in energy demands (no more California blackouts).

OLED may also be responsible for some very exciting technology in the future, such as flexible newspapers with video encoded or possibly a touch-screen if you want to buy a product advertised on it. Crazy, huh? It's happening guys.

#11 Schwinnstingray1964

Schwinnstingray1964

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

Or Computer Monitors floating in mid air!

Wouldnt that be Saweet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users