Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet hangs constantly, requires reboot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 captaininternet

captaininternet

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:58 AM

The basics:

Vista Home with SP1 and all updates.
Firefox 3.0.5
ZoneAlarm firewall
Avast! AntiVirus
ThreatFire
Road Runner internet through Time Warner

The problem is intermittent which leads me to believe it is an ISP issue.

After browsing for "a while" (sometimes 10 mins, sometimes 30) I will get the status of "Waiting for url.com...." and it never connects. If I close Firefox and restart, I get the message that Firefox is still running. If I open IE at this point, it also will not change from status "Waiting for url.com..." Now here's the part that really pisses me off... when I try to reboot, my computer hangs indefinitely and I have to do a 'hard' shutdown by pressing and holding the power button. Immediately on reboot, it works fine again.

I know this is a pretty vague start, but I need some direction as to what to look for. I recently did a very thorough malware/virus scan on my computer using several advanced tools. Everything is 100% clean. This will be hard to trouble shoot, because it's so intermittent. I'll also be honest that my next door neighbor, using a Mac and the same ISP, reports similar problems that are usually resolved with a reboot as well. Hoping someone can point me at something that will at least get me started in the right direction.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:42 PM

Are you using a router? Are you wireless or hard wired? Have you tried resetting your modem and/or router?

Edited by xblindx, 31 December 2008 - 12:42 PM.

#3 captaininternet

captaininternet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

No router, hard wired. I reset (unplug, replug back in) the modem everytime this occurs.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

I may be wrong, but I don't think the ISP could be responsible for the hanging shutdown, I could be wrong though. I had a problem like this before, and I could just turn off and then back on the modem/router and the connection would be back, I never had to actually restart the computer.

Edited by xblindx, 31 December 2008 - 12:55 PM.

#5 captaininternet

captaininternet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:20 PM

Yeah, the thing that gets me... firefox won't close. I click the close button, the window closes, but it's still in my task mgr. Then I can't close it from there. I'm thinking it may be my extensions, but those are pretty basic. I will reset to default settings when I get home and continue to process of troubleshooting.

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

It may be the Poison Ivy Rootkit, which is what I was infected with. It causes firefox to stay in task manager.

Do the following: Restart your computer and before you open anything check the task manager for either firefox.exe or iexplore.exe. If either is there, tell me.
Also read this article. It explains what may be causing firefox to stay open, including legit reasons and also the poison ivy rootkit.

Edited by xblindx, 31 December 2008 - 02:27 PM.

#7 captaininternet

captaininternet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

I think I solved the problem. Avast! has a "web shield" function that I disabled. I've been pounding Firefox since then, and everything seems to be ok... will update later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users