Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run 16-bit Win Program problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:27 AM

I first posted this problem on the XP Pro forum; from there I was directed to the Malware forum; they directed me to this forum.

I have a PC laptop, with XP Pro, 2 Ghz processor 2G RAm, etc. IE7.

The programm I am trying to run is bundled in a zip file. If/when I unzip the file on the laptop and try to execute the 'exe' file, I get the message in the title/subject line...'Can't run 16-bit Windows Program....etc.

I have run the 16-bit windows program fit; I have purged my system of Malware; I have scanned for viruses; I am HiJackthis clean; I updated my Java (11)....still no change.

However....recently, I unzipped the file to my flash drive and executed the program from the flash drive on the laptop and it works perfectly. I unzipped the file on another laptop (friend's) and it works perfectly; ditto on my desktop

Where do I go from here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

The 16-bit components of the InstallShield software used for installation of old software may exhibit this problem on operating systems where the creation of short file names has been disabled (e.g. by setting the NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation registry value to 1).

This problem may be solved by moving the setup file to a location which does not use long names in its path components (e.g. the root of drive C) and running it from there. If this does not solve the problem, a change to a registry value is required.

The NTFS file system (introduced in Windows NT and used by Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008) automatically creates 8.3 "short" file names and stores them along with the NTFS "long" name. Although the short names are not visible when you browse the file system, they are present, and you may see them in some path values stored in the system registry, or displayed in setup programs. This duplication, which only affects long file and directory names, results in a slightly increased overhead when creating a new file or directory, however it is required for compatibility with older applications. Unfortunately even some newer programs, released well after the introduction of "long" file names on Windows, rely on support for short file names in order to be compatible with the widest possible range of operating systems and file systems. This includes the InstallShield software used by non-current versions of Cloanto applications which did not yet use Windows Installer (MSI) technology.

Please note that Windows Vista, Windows 7 and x64 versions of Windows do not include a 16-bit subsystem. The 16-bit components described in this article will not work on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or on x64 versions of Windows.

This is a registry Edit, Please back up the registry before proceeding

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42148/how-to-back-up-the-registry-xp/

The creation of 8.3-compliant short names on NTFS partitions is controlled by a registry value, which by default is set to enable the creation of short names.

If the following value is set to 1 then short file names are not created:

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\
CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\
NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation=1

If the value is missing, or set to 0, then short file names are created:

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\
CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\
NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation=0

A reboot is required for the change to fully take effect. The change has no effect on existing files and directories (it only affects new writes). To create short names for files and directories which are already on the hard disk it is necessary to force this data to be rewritten, e.g. with a backup/restore.

www.cloanto.com/kb/14-131

Edited by garmanma, 31 December 2008 - 12:17 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for that information.

Now, how do I check those registry values?

Also, is this solution applicable to my current situation? Program will run from the flash drive but not the HD.

As the quote states, I have moved the program files to the C: drive and it won't work that way.

I just checked: the HD is NTFS formatted; the flash drive is FAT formatted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users