Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WEIRD wireless

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 woejipums

woejipums

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:33 AM

Hello all...I just got the old lady a laptop and had to go on a hunt for my wireless router. I looked EVERYWHERE and could not find it...it is NOT connected anywhere and quite possibly is not in my apartment either...yet when I search for available wireless networks on her computer...to my surprise, the old network name that I had set up on my router last is FOUND in available networks. Is this even possible? It's a very distinct name that I recognized immediately. The only thing I can think of is that one of the maintinance guys stole it while in my apartment and is now using it. Is there any other way that it could still be showing up? Thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 woejipums

woejipums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:16 AM

update...I am not able to connect to it because i don't have the key saved...how could someone be using it unless they reset it to factory defaults? They don't know my WEP key...

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:55 PM

Strange... are you sure it is gone?
Have you looked under the bed, in the back of the fridge? (my tv remote shows up there sometimes)
Most routers have wired ports as well as wireless. So yes it is possible for someone to use it.
Since it shows up in "Available Wireless Networks" look at the signal strength. If it is full then the
router should be within 20-30 feet. If the meter only shows a bar or two try moving around the
apartment with the lappy and watch the meter strength.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and therefore can not determine your level of sanity. :thumbsup:

Edited by raw, 31 December 2008 - 11:58 PM.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 woejipums

woejipums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:44 AM

Thanks Raw...I am sure it's gone. I only have one modem in the house so if it's somehow behind the fridge unplugged and transmitting i would start worrying about my blender attacking me. The signal strength is between 1-2 bars in the house. One of the maintenance guys that came in to work on my water heater lives in the apartment directly behind me. I am thinking about walking outside and around the building with the laptop to see how strong the signal gets.

Is there any easy way for me to find his IP address through the router? I would like to have as much info as possible when i call the police.

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

Is there any easy way for me to find his IP address through the router?

Not without the WEP key. Locating the router by signal strength is your best bet.

rawsig.png

#6 woejipums

woejipums
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

Not without the WEP key. Locating the router by signal strength is your best bet.

Not sure if you will see this...but maybe someone can help me. i actually found a file where i had saved my WEP for the stolen router and it seems like i can connect to the network now. Is there any way i can find out his IP? :thumbsup:

#7 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

Quick way: Connect to the wireless, open a browser and surf to,
http://whatismyip.com/

More involved way:
Once you connect to the wireless, right click the wireless tray icon
and choose "status". At the top of the new window click the "support" tab.
Look at the address after "Default Gateway" (ex- 192.168.1.1)
Open a browser and enter that IP. You should now be at the router admin page.
Enter your admin name and password. The next page should offer some status
information or a tab/link for WAN and possibly some log files.

At this point you should at least change the router admin password and enable
logging if it's disabled. If logging is enabled you should copy the log file to your PC.

Disclaimer: I provided this info simply for gathering
information. I strongly suggest that you not try to access any machines
on this network. A - it is illegal, and B - he may have a firewall that will alert him
to your presence.

rawsig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users