Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony DW22A (710A) DVD Writer problems reading CDs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 readrobread

readrobread

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

I've had an oem Sony DW22A DVD writer (also apparently the same as the Sony 710A retail DVD writer) for about 6 months, and it has been working perfectly since installation.

The other day for the first time I was burning a CD-RW (I have burned and read many many cds and dvds already with just the odd error - usually based on cpu over usage). About 1/8 of the way through the burn, Nero had a problem with the burning process. This being not completely unusual, since I had a fair bit of CPU usage at the time, I wasn't too worried.

Later I noticed that although the drive was stilling showing up in windows explorer and My Computer (I'm using the newest version of Windows XP with all updates) it was not reading or even recognising that there was a CD in the drive. At first I thought the CD was wrecked - but I tried mutliple data cds that had already been burned - and each time, the drive seems to not recognize that any media has been inserted. No autoplay, and after a few minutes, still no listing of files on the cd coming up in windows explorer - even after refreshing the view.

Of course my first plan was to reboot - since i've had cd-writers in the past that had an error, and then needed a reboot to reset themselves. After a full shutdown, I have still had no luck reading CDs.

The plot thickens: i tried a data dvd - and the drive read this with no problem. I have also successfully burned a data dvd - and even still, it will not read or recognise when a cd of any kind is put in the drive.

I have tried manually removing the drive drivers, and reinstalling them. I've updated the firmware for the drive to the most recent BYX4 for the SONY 710A (which as I said earlier, is according to my research, the retail version of this drive that I got oem). I've turned off the computer and unplugged it for a few minutes. I've even taken off the side of the cpu and unhooked the data cord and power cord from the drive for a few minutes before powering it up - all these have had no success. (in terms of order - the firmware flash was the last thing i tried.)

I'm really at my wits end, but thought someone might know a way to proceed. I know there must be a way to "reset" the drive so to speak so that it goes back to factory settings. I find it odd that the drive can still read and write dvds but won't even recognise cds...

Does anyone have any ideas? Could an error like the one I described cause a fault with the drive itself? Could one of the many drivers involved somewhere have got corrupted?

Any help would be greatly apprecitated.

Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:17 PM

Have you applied the latest updates to Nero?
JC

#3 readrobread

readrobread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:12 PM

Do you mean virus updates? I've not done this before - and am just doing it now. However - unless Nero is somehow staying open or opening in memory without my knowing it, it's not just Nero that's having trouble reading CDs...it's explorer too - everything really.

Nero updates don't seem to have made any difference. Thanks for the idea though.

It COULD be something where Nero is locking the drive's cd capibilities...but i just don't know how to disable it if this is the case...(I would have thought a reboot would do it)

Rob

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:46 PM

I didn't mean virus updates, but it is always a good idea to make sure that everything is up-to-date. Especially when a problem is occurring. I meant is Nero completely updated. With mine, I can go in and check to see if there are newer versions of my Nero apps. Are you able to read Audio CD's?
JC

#5 readrobread

readrobread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:45 PM

Okay, i found the nero updates and am getting them now - so afterwards will be up to 6.6 (currently have 6.0).

I just tried an audio cd - and as with the others the drive is acting as if there is no disc inserted.

I'll let you know if the updates work.

Rob

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:14 PM

Ok, at least you are going to have the basics covered.
Post back after you apply the patches and have restarted your computer.

Joshuacat
JC

#7 readrobread

readrobread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:09 AM

No luck - I just installed all the nero updates - and still, CDs are not being recognized. I started up Nero and used it's info tool feature to see what it said - and it said "no disc inserted" - despite there being one in there.

Any other ideas?

Rob

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:58 PM

Have you tried running the CD drive from within XP's safe mode?
JC

#9 readrobread

readrobread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:18 PM

Yup, I just tried Safemode - and no luck. Same error - data dvd was readable - cd not recognised as being inserted.

Rob

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:12 PM

At the risk of overstating the obvious: have you used an optical drive cleaner? The first two things I would do is use a cleaning disk and then replace the cable. If neither works, it's possible that the drive has failed.

#11 readrobread

readrobread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't actually have an optical drive cleaning disc at the moment - if i come across one i'll pick it up. The drive is only about 6 months old - so i think i'll give Sony a call and see what they can do for me.

Thanks everyone for your attempts - the main reason i posted was in case this error seemed familiar to anyone - and they had a quick fix.

I have a feeling it has something to do with refreshing either the drive or drivers somehow...and i'll let Sony advise me on that. Thanks again.

Rob

#12 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:25 PM

Good-luck. I was going to get you to try their CHAT forum, or drive test utility on the SONY website, but both of them are for US customers ONLY. Guess that leaves us canucks out, eh? :thumbsup:
Let us know if there is a simple solution they come up with.

Joshuacat :flowers:
JC

#13 CASTIGLIANO

CASTIGLIANO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 12:24 PM

I have the same problem as you. How did u fix ur writer? pls help i'm desperate about it. Mine cant read cd's but it can read and write DVD.

PLEASE HELP.
Hope for ur reply soon!

TANX!

#14 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:08 PM

CASTIGLIANO, this topic is months old. It is a good idea that you start a new topic so it gets the attention that it deserves. Please provide as many details as possible. The more details you provide, the easier it is to help you.

Also, the member that reported this problem has not been active here since June.

Good-luck,
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users