Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

?Using Universal Boot CD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LymanRd

LymanRd

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:17 AM

Hi. Looking for someone who knows the programs on the UBCD. My son, in an effort to help, said yes to a reformatting of my system after a blue screen crash. Before I finish running & pay for a data recovery software I was advised on this site to determine if Windows had created a backup directory. UBCD was suggested- either that or another method if someone knows. I'll need fairly specific instructions as directories is an area I have little experience in.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:44 AM

It has more that one tool to try

http://www.ubcd4win.com/contents.htm

Recovery Tools

DBXtract 4.5 Repairs PST files for Outlook express
Disk Investigator 1.31 Display the true drive contents by bypassing the operating system and directly reading the raw drive sectors. View and search raw directories, files, clusters, and system sectors. Verify the effectiveness of file and disk wiping programs. Undelete previously deleted files
Fab's AutoBackup 1.2 Backup and restore personal settings like emails, documents, internet browser bookmarks
File Recovery 4.0 Data recovery for damaged files and erased partitions
Floppy Repair 1.0 Eliminates bad sectors of Floppy disk surface, does not hide bad sectors in the file system, as Scandisk like utilities, it really restores them
Free Undelete 1.0 Data recovery program for deleted files
Handy Recovery 1.0 Designed to restore files accidentally deleted from hard disks and floppy drives
Recovery Manager 1.5 Backup & Restore, Duplicate, Recover files accidentally deleted or from corrupted media, and Format Digital Flash Media
Recuva 1.10.223 File recovery program
Restoration 2.5.14 File Recovery, restore files that have been deleted from the Recycle Bin
UnChk 3 Recover CHK files
Swiss Knife 3.21 Useful tool to create, delete, and format partitions
Unstop Copier 1.9 Recovers files from disks with physical damage

Edited by garmanma, 31 December 2008 - 11:49 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 LymanRd

LymanRd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:40 PM

To better understand what caused me to ask for help with the UBCD, here's the link to my other topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/188920/unwanted-compaq-system-restore/

Can you suggest and provide some basic instruction for the best tool on the UBCD for: 1) finding a possible Windows directory back-up, and/or 2) data recovery software for my reformatted drive.

Thanks!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:56 PM

I believe the application John was referring to is Disk Investigator 1.31
I've never had to use that app. I sometimes use a Live Linux CD, but most of the time I take the drive out and put it in another machine or a USB enclosure. I know there are a few people here that use that disk. You'll just have to wait and see if they respond
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users