Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to purchase a new laptop with XP as the OS?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lanimilbus

Lanimilbus

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:04 AM

My laptop is on its last legs at this point; I've had it since summer of 2004 and it's practically unusable by now. I have a desktop computer (what I'm using now) but I still need a laptop, as I travel often and need a portable workspace. So I'm looking to buy a new laptop; the only issue is that I refuse to use Vista. I have it on my work computer and it's awful. I got someone to remove it and install XP over it but the computer is still messed up because of it.
Anyway, I'd like to purchase a new laptop with XP as the operating system. I understand that Vista is the standard now, but when I ordered my current HP desktop computer directly from HP in December 2007, about a year ago today, I specified that I'd like a business PC with XP as the operating system and they sent me one. I did the same thing earlier this month; I spent a long time on the phone with the rep at HP searching for the right laptop and again made it very clear that I wanted a business computer with XP as the operating system. What they sent me was a laptop with Vista on it that they had just uninstalled and put XP on. All the installation disks were for Vista and the laptop had a Vista sticker on it. I tested it out and right out of the box it was having performance issues; I called them back and said that I had wanted a laptop with XP as the original operating system and not Vista with XP written over it, like I had gotten a year ago, and they told me that they no longer did that...the best they could do was send me a Vista computer with XP on top of it. I returned the laptop, called Dell, and was told essentially the same thing, and that's as far as I've gotten.

So, my question here is: is there any way to purchase a new laptop with XP as the operating system? Not a used laptop off eBay or anything, and not a new Vista laptop with XP written over it, but a new laptop where XP has been the only OS on that machine from day one.

Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:24 AM

I believe Dell was. Not sure if they still are. You'll have to check their website to make sure
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:58 AM

You could have it custom made. Microsoft has extended the deadline for small builders.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/22/microso...to-may-30-2009/
Quote: "it just extended the final OEM and reseller delivery date for the venerable OS to May 30, 2009."

There are builders such as the one in the link below that will build you a custom made laptop.
Expect to pay a premium. I am not recommending the site in the link below, (never used any custom builder) just using it as an example. I have linked to their contact page.
http://www.pugetsystems.com/support/index.php

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 vict0r

vict0r

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

Why is your laptop unusable at this point?

Will you use your new laptop for "office" software and internet surfing only or do you have special requirements?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

Just FYI - the smaller "netbooks" all seem available with XP
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users