Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Background program taking up too much of CPU.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 screamineagle

screamineagle

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:37 AM

Hello there,

I'm new here and this is what brought me.

I have a peskie program that seems to be running in the background and taking up 35%-85% of my CPU. Needless to say it slows my computer to the point of freezing at times.
If I reboot my computer it shuts the program down, and I can come back without it running for a little while. Then it starts back up by itself. I can't seem to nail down when it starts, but it isn't showing in the Task Manager under processes.
Is there any way I can get into a place where I can see what is running in the background, and maybe shut it down?

Oh and for some strange reason, when the program starts to run, it takes out my sound. Everything registers, but there is no sound coming out of the speekers or headphones. They are restored as the system is shuting down for a reboot (I can hear the system shutdown, and start up tune), and stay good again till the program starts back up.

I've had this problem since I bought this computer 4 years ago, but it only now just started taking out the sound.

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:22 AM

You can try Process Explorer. It's a little more "in depth" than Task Manager
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 screamineagle

screamineagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

Thanks Garmanma,

I loaded the program up and it showed me what program was running. Seems the Hardwear Interrupts kept running on and on.
Now for the weard part. Evidently the process was a shy one because once I loaded that program, and it reveled the running program, I restarted my system, and it hasn't spiked since.
So not only did that program show the problem, it fixed it as well. Don't know how, but it did.

Thanks again for your help. :thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

In case you want to know more about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 screamineagle

screamineagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:50 AM

Thanks again Garmanma,

The best thing I can make, from reading a little of that, is that something in the programing was telling the Hardwear Interrupts program to continuously Poll some peice of hardwear in my system and it went into a loop. I still don't know why because the Hardwear Interrupts program is suppose to prevent that. Might have just been one of those bugs.
But like I said, it's fixed now. Thanks. :thumbsup:

#6 screamineagle

screamineagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:01 AM

Ok, I think I might have spoke too soon.

I was crusing the net and suddenly noticed the Hardwear Interrupts program spiking in a loop again. So I try to shut it down using the Process Explorer. I of course get the prompt asking my if I'm sure I want to kill the program. I click yes and get another prompt that says "Error opening process: The parameter is incorrect".
Any ideas?
I know I can just shut reboot the comp and it will stop the program for a little while. But I want to stop this thing from making me shut my system down all the time.

Thanks again.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

I would suggest checking your Event Viewer for errors around the time it started looping. Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Check both the System and the Application log files for errors around that time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 screamineagle

screamineagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for jumping in Usasma,

Since I last posted I have looked into my device manager and found some hardwear that had question marks by them. So I either searched for new drivers , or in the case of my printer, I just unhooked it. Had to reboot. Since then I haven't had a problem, and the device manager is clean.
I appreciate your help, and I'm just waiting for it to start up again. If it does I will have to catch it and use your advice to see what error it is. Then I will list it in here.
I'm hoping what I've done takes care of the problem.

Thanks again for the edjucation. :thumbsup:

#9 screamineagle

screamineagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

Ok,
I got it to start the hardware interrupts again. It took almost two days this time. As soon as I saw that it was spiking I went to the event viewer and it doesn't show any signs of any trouble, or any time stamps anywhere near the time it started. The closest event was 3 hrs prior to the spike.

What can I do now?

#10 screamineagle

screamineagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:16 AM

Ok, I think I might have found something.
These errors and events didn't show up until after the system started spiking.

The mechine was rebooted at 4:15 AM on 1/3/09 and was let run from that point. At around 9:00 PM on 1/5/09 the system started spiking while I was on the web.

The first list is from the SYSTEM list in the event viewer .

Type Date Time Source Category Event User
Information 1/6/2009 1:41:13 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A
Information 1/6/2009 1:30:30 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A
Information 1/6/2009 1:30:30 AM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM
Information 1/6/2009 1:27:11 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A
Information 1/6/2009 1:27:11 AM Service Control Manager None 7035 Owner
Warning 1/5/2009 5:55:14 PM W32Time None 36 N/A
Information 1/5/2009 4:16:01 AM W32Time None 35 N/A
Warning 1/3/2009 5:54:26 PM W32Time None 36 N/A
Information 1/3/2009 4:15:56 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A
Information 1/3/2009 4:15:55 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A
Information 1/3/2009 4:15:52 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A
Information 1/3/2009 4:15:52 AM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM
Information 1/3/2009 4:15:48 AM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A
Information 1/3/2009 4:15:48 AM Service Control Manager None 7035 Owner

I beleve that whatever the 7035 and 7036 events are they may have something to do with the spikes as they are flooded through out this list.

This second list is from the APPLICATION list in the event viewer.

Type Date Time Source Category Event User Error 1/6/2009 2:41:06 AM Application Hang None 1001 N/A
Error 1/6/2009 2:40:59 AM Application Hang None 1001 N/A
Error 1/6/2009 2:40:46 AM Application Hang (101) 1002 N/A
Error 1/6/2009 2:40:43 AM Application Hang (101) 1002 N/A
Information 1/6/2009 1:31:13 AM MsiInstaller None 11707 Owner
Information 1/6/2009 1:27:08 AM gusvc None 0 N/A
Information 1/3/2009 4:15:47 AM SecurityCenter None 1800 N/A
Information 1/3/2009 4:15:24 AM avg8emc None 1 N/A

Now I beleve that the Errors starting at 2:40:43AM on 1/6/2009 were caused by an IE freeze up I had at that time. The spike had started well before that time.

Can anyone guide me from here?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Control_Manager

In my experience, informational items in Event Viewer are not worthy of user time. They usually inform the user of hiccups that have nothing to do with the system properly performing primary functions.

The time check notifications are a classic example.

As for application hangs...some programs hang, no matter what a user does.

I have a video-editing program that hangs all the time and the error is noted...but there is nothing I can do or want to do about it. It's an older program and a newer version might not occasionally hang...but it works and the hanging doesn't result in data loss.

IE is, IME, prone to hang for any number of reasons. Could be version, could be something external, could be corruption. I don't reinstall it every time it hangs and I don't give it a lot of thought.

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...ger&phase=1

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...ger&phase=1

Louis

#12 screamineagle

screamineagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:37 AM

Thanks Hamluis,

I looked up the links you provided and all I could get out of them is that I have some kind of service that is trying to start and stop continuously.
But this isn't happining when the system is starting up. It happends while it is already up and I'm on the net.
I'm just getting the feeling that I'm going to have to take it in to someone, try to make it spike, and let them dig around for it.
From what I've been reading in this search this is a problem quite a few have had, but the answer isn't always clear.

Frustration is starting to set in... :thumbsup:

#13 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:42 AM

What is the name of the program that is taking up that percentage of your cpu? is it svchost or services.exe?

You will need to filter through the services to see which it is. A lot of security software runs as a service, if you have McAfee or an older Norton Product (before 09) you may be getting spikes from that.

#14 Erik365

Erik365

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

For starters a much faster approach would be to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and go to the process tab. From there you could look for helpsvc.exe I have had numerous issues with this.

#15 screamineagle

screamineagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:42 AM

Lowtek_otc and Erik365 thanks for jumping in.

As for the service being a virus program? I took out McAfee and Norton after loading up AVG. Neather McAfee nor Symantec are even listed in services.mcs . There was a program for AOL in there. I don't use it so I stoped it from starting. As of right now I'm not spiking, but that can change without warning it seems.

As for hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete? I started with that. Whatever is taking up half my CPU isn't showing on there. Process Explorer (which is a step up from Ctrl+Alt+Delete) is telling me it's a Hardware Interrupts. I have no idea what that means, and don't know how to track the problem down past that. I would need to find a program that could crack the Hardware Interrupts program open and let me see what is running when the problem is present. Until then I'm kind of stuck.

But thanks again for giving it a shot. I can use all the help I can get with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users