Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to fix lag spikes?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

Hello everyone @ Bleepingcomputer. I've come across a problem that many people in my games complain about.

I play Warcraft III, and I host games so everyone is connected to me. Whenever I play in games, I don't feel anything but people constantly complain about spikes. I know it's my host, because whenever I play with my friends, they complain about lag spikes as well. I've been trying to troubleshoot this, but I still cannot get a nice clear connection.

I'm currently WIRED (Weird right?), however I'm using a router that has ports 6112-6119 forwarded. When I run my game, I usually only have Ventrilo (VoIP Program), iTunes, StealthBot (WC3 Chat Bot) and Banlist (3rd-party WC3 program). I tried to minimize CPU usage by closing all of the known processes that aren't needed. I also purchased a new Ethernet cable, and that didn't seem to fix my problem.

You may be asking, "Have you done a scan for any spyware/adware/viruses/worms/etc.?" The answer to that, is yes. I've scanned my computer with avast! and Spybot S&D and I found no harmful spyware/viruses.

So, my questions are:
  • What could be the source of my problem?
  • Could this be a memory issue?
  • Could it be a faulty network adapter (it could be a possibility)
Just to let you guys know, I have to constantly clean the dust out of my fan because I game on this laptop so it runs a bit hot. I think that may be a problem but if you could verify, that would be great.

~Ragtimesolo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:48 PM

What is your connection speed? Upload and download. Hosting games requires a good upload and download speed. I personally have a very low upload speed so I can't host on Xbox LIVE really any games over like 5 people, but I can play in them fine.

Go to http://www.speedtest.net and post your results.

Edited by xblindx, 30 December 2008 - 11:48 PM.

#3 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:52 PM

For Warcraft 3, you only need 100 kbps, so I don't think it's speed that's the problem. But nevertheless, here are my results:

Posted Image

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:55 PM

My upload was like 303kbs. I've never played Warcraft 3 So I don't know the requirements, but if you only need 100kbs then it probably isn't a speed problem. Since you are hosting more than 1 person though, that may contribute.

#5 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:56 PM

My upload was like 303kbs. I've never played Warcraft 3 So I don't know the requirements, but if you only need 100kbs then it probably isn't a speed problem. Since you are hosting more than 1 person though, that may contribute.

I don't think it's the multiple person problem because I never use to spike before.

Do you have any other ideas as to how I can spike in a game? External problems? I'm trying to eliminate possibilities.

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:00 AM

Heres a hunch.

You cannot fix the lag spikes if you are really doing anything, if you are hosting a server it utilizes your connection, ram, cpu what ever. Now if your playing a game as well it also uses your ram, connection, cpu etc...

Either get one hell of a upgrade(not likely) Or you have to set up a dedicated server which is a computer thats main job is to do NOTHING but host that server
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#7 Ragtimesolo

Ragtimesolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

When you "host" with Warcraft, it's not making a server, it's playing a game where everyone is connected to the "hoster" or in short "host". Yes, I know it's a bit confusing but I'll try breaking it down:

Host: The person that everyone connects to in a game
TO Host: To establish an open connection on the game where players can connect to your connection and play a match.

Warcraft III is played on a server called "Battle.net" where there are chat rooms and a place where you create a game. Basically you create a game and people can join. In the particular "custom" game I play, there are 10 slots. Since I'm apart of it, there's 9 available slots. Whenever a person wants to play that game, they join it and then once the game is full, I start the game.

Since everyone is connecting to a game that I've "hosted," it utilizes my connection. Every single game they play, they complain about lag spikes.

So, are there any other ideas? I really want to fix these lags spikes because I spike really badly when I join other people's games.

*I'm on a wired connection.

#8 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

Yes, I am familiar with battle.net I play D2/D1 and occasionally SC.

I thought you were opening a game and then left that hosting and opening another copy of WC3 and playing another game.

Looking at your speed test results, it looks like it will work, but not very well. If you get a faster connection via your ISP or another ISP you may fix the problem.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 06 January 2009 - 01:19 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users