Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access Internet Except Through Aol Explorer Unless in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 discoinfiltr8r

discoinfiltr8r

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

Running Windows XP. Cannot connect to the internet unless using Aol Explorer. I was previously able to use Firefox and Internet Explorer. Now they will open, but they don't connect to the internet. Internet Explorer attempts to connect to the homepage but fails.
I ran the computer in safe mode with networking and was able to connect to the internet using internet explorer. I'm thinking it's a firewall issue. I previously had an out of date version of Norton Antivirus, but I uninstalled that. Now I have Windows Defender and Zone Labs Integrity Desktop. I'm suspecting the zone labs is the issue because when I disabled it with msconfig I had some problems with AOL Explorer. I'm afraid to uninstall the Zone Lab entirely in case it'll kill even my Aol Explorer access, which is the only internet access I have now.
I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

Hi discoinfiltr8r,

When you removed Norton Antivirus, did you use the Norton Removal Tool? How did you configure Zonelabs? Do you have the security level set on high? If so, see if the two browsers are still locked out at medium.

Did you try going back to a restore point preceding this problem? This should tell you if it's related to one of the pieces of software you mentioned - Nortons and/or Zone Labs - or if it's a different problem altogether.

If you've never used System Restore, go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
check the box to Restore my computer to an earlier time and click on Next. You'll see a calendar with highlighted dates. Choose one of the dates just preceeding these problems and allow your system to return to that date. See if the problem goes away.

After you see if restoring to an earlier point preceding the installation of Zone Labs changes things or if you still have the problem, you will have more information to work with. If Zone Labs is the problem and restoring to an earlier restore point does help, you can temporarily turn on your Windows Firewall as an option until you can figure out what the problem is with Zone Labs. It can be turned on by going to Start / Control Panel / Windows Firewall.

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users