Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dec512

dec512

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:55 PM

According to Startup Repair that I run from the Vista Boot Disk it appears as if the OS is working properly, and that I should 'remove the recently attached device.' The lap top belongs to my sister who is a freshman in college and I was hoping to be able to get the computer up and running, with all her files, before she goes back to school next week. For Christmas she received a Coby key chain picture viewer and installed the hardware to upload images. She says that the same day she transferred pictures the computer crashed. She did not 'Safely Remove Hardware' so I don't know if that could have affected the computer in some way.
I know that I can re-install Vista, but that would mean she looses all her files. Unfortunately there is no System Restore point or backup. Starting the computer in Safe Mode does not make any difference, Startup Repair runs just after the green runner and the MS logo.
Is there any way to repair without re-installing?

Computer Specs:
HP Pavilion dv6000 (GA451UA#ABA)
AMD Turion 64x2 TL-56
1800MHz

I am not sure what kind of hard drive she has.

Please let me know if there is other information I can provide.
Thanks,
-Daniel

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
My sister says that the computer was able to restart once, but lacked wireless connectivity and she was told to update vista, which she did and then the problem became what it is now.

Edited by dec512, 30 December 2008 - 11:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

I'd have to suggest a repair install of Vista here (unless you're confident locating the drive in RE mode and disabling it). Here's a link on how to do it: http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_a_vist...e_vista_dvd.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dec512

dec512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:08 AM

Unfortunately the upgrade option is disabled and I am not able to uninstall SP1.

How can I locate the drive in RE mode and disable it?

Thanks for the help!

--Daniel

UPDATE IN INFORMATION:
I am able to access the hard drive using the command prompt (via the reboot disk) and have successfully moved some pictures out of there & onto an external hard drive. Is it possible for me to uninstall SP1 via the command prompt?

Edited by dec512, 02 January 2009 - 03:57 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

See Method 3 at this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dec512

dec512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:00 PM

I didn't have the specified file in the temp drive and so I searched for it using by typing @ the C:\> prompt:
dir windows6.0-kb936330-x86.exe /s
after a while it replied
File Not Found

Could that mean that SP1 was not installed? Why would the upgrade option be disabled on the boot disk? Did I perform the search correctly?

I appreciate your help.
Thanks!

Edited by dec512, 03 January 2009 - 02:20 PM.

#6 dec512

dec512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

Can I perform a backup using command prompt? If I do will restoring the backup restore the problem?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

At the command prompt type "ver" (without the quotes) and press Enter
6.0.6001 is the version on my 64 bit Vista Ultimate w/SP1 - I think that Vista w/o SP1 is 6.0.6000

Generally the upgrade option is only available when you launch the installer from inside of Windows (this also may be affected by the version of Vista that you have).

I'm unsure about the backup - but it will only work if the backup contains the right files and registry entries to replace the faulty one's currently on the computer.

#8 dec512

dec512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for your help usasma. I had to reinstall vista due to time constraints.
Thanks again for your guidance.
-Daniel

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:29 AM

Not a problem. Sometimes time is a factor - and the reinstall may be the fastest way to fix the problem for you.
Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users