Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could USB sticks contain old infections?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:14 PM

Dear Community December 30, 2008
Last winter I had a malware attack which bleepingcomputer helped me kill. During and prior to that event I had several USB memory sticks that I occasionally used for back ups. Mostly word files and photos. I have not used theses particular ones since because I am concerned that they could contain the original infection. I did see some posts that mentioned methods of disinfecting but they all start with the instructions to plug in before beginning the clean up process. I would be concerned that something could autostart and infect all over again
Is there a safe way to plug these in and scan for infections? I would rather throw them out then risk reinfecting the system.
Thanks in advance for any input
Nawtheasta
P.S. Running Windows XP Home, SP2 on a Dell Optiplex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:16 PM

Yes they can. Please read quietman7's posts 2,4 and 6 for the proper method of cleaning. They must connect to be cleaned.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...ash+disinfector
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

Hi Boopme December 31, 2008
Thank you for your response
Quietman7 has given some very detailed advice. I was especially glad to see how to prevent autorun. I will give these methods a try.
I am curious though. Is there something that makes these type drives unique so that they require special programs to disinfect? Why would not Malwarebytes or others be prudent clean up methods?
Best Regards and a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year!
Nawtheasta

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

You can use MBAM or SAS (Malwarebytes Antimalware/Super Anti Spyware) To scan the USB drives but they must be connected and they must be selected properly to scann them. If you do a quick scann usually only the physical drives are scanned and not external or USB drives.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users