Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I fix a pagefile issue?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 grundsau

grundsau

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:11 PM

Hi, I recently got my system back in working order thanks to Boopme who did an awesome job.
Here is the thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/190325/infected-with-win32bankerfs-and-trojanspyagentda/
I'm using XP with SP2

My concern is on both the C and D drives there is a file called pagefile.sys and it is huge, its 1,523,712kb in size.
My D drive is partitioned and this thing has sucked up almost all the space on it.
There is also a hiberfil.sys file and rollback.ini file.
Yesterday the pagefile.sys had 12/29 as the date, now it has todays date.
The other two have todays date and am not sure when they appeared.
I keep getting a pop-up that says low disk space and thats how I found the files.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

How large is you hdd, and how much free space do you have on it?

How much RAM do you have? The swap space generally is one and a half times the size of your RAM. The hibernation file will be about the same size as the amount of you RAM.

The swap space (page file) and the hibernation both have large files, this is normal. If you have sufficient RAM you can disable the swap space and its file, and if you don't use the hibernation feature you can do the same with it as well. But if you have a large hdd as most people do now you shouldn't have to worry about the space that these files take up.

Edited by dc3, 30 December 2008 - 10:09 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 grundsau

grundsau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:39 PM

Hi, I have 992megs of RAM.
The c drive is 80gig with 5.5 free
The d drive is 11.4gig with 32megs free.

The files weren't there in that size before. Something in the D drive ate up space.

#4 grundsau

grundsau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

My problem appears to be similiar to the issue on this page: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/190488/pagefilesys-everywhere-and-nowhere/
I've only got 32megs left on the D drive which is the recovey partition.

#5 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

Hi, I have 992megs of RAM.
The c drive is 80gig with 5.5 free
The d drive is 11.4gig with 32megs free.

The files weren't there in that size before. Something in the D drive ate up space.

The page file looks normal for the C: drive. You need to do some house cleaning on the drive. If you have stuff on there you can't bear to throw away get a USB external and copy the stuff there. See CCleaner to get rid of temp file crap. Use the Disk Clean utility in XP to clear off all but the last Restore Point. I keep my system drive usage below 25%. That way defrag with a program like Auslogics defrag takes less than 15 minutes. You should defrag several times a week. When you let the free space get down that low, esp. on a fragmented drive, soon you'll get out of memory errors. Not to mention with more free space and defragmented drive the performance will improve.

The recovery partition shouldn't have any swap on it. It should be write protected. Somebody must have turned off the data protection service that keeps you from writing to D: drive. In any case if you right click on My Computer and go into Advanced Settings Performance Options Advanced Tab then go to Virtual Memory. You should be able to turn off paging for Drive D:

If you don't need the recovery partition and want to use the space just format it. The out of the box System Recovery makes you reinstall all the programs you put on after. It's better to use an image backup and restore like Paragon Drive Backup Express or better. (at the Paragon site if you look around there's a freeware version.)

Also in System Restore turn off monitor for drive D: unless you are going to format it and use it
for files and programs. The recovery stuff should never change so you don't have to monitor it.

Google should tell you where all these adjustments are depending on your version of XP.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#6 grundsau

grundsau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

Hi MilesAhead, the D drive already had paging turned off. Should I just delete the file?

#7 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:03 PM

Hi MilesAhead, the D drive already had paging turned off. Should I just delete the file?

If it will let you delete it then it's not using it. It's just junk from memory written to disk anyway. Nothing you want to save. :thumbsup:

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#8 CraigBos

CraigBos

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

My problem appears to be similiar to the issue on this page: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/190488/pagefilesys-everywhere-and-nowhere/
I've only got 32megs left on the D drive which is the recovey partition.

Execute the Diagnosis and Ruling Out Other Causes steps in this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1069140

Then do one "VM Off/Defrag/VM On" Cycle.

I suspect that will get rid of your issue.

If it looks like you have a corrupted disk like I did, stop and get more help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users