Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cakid61

cakid61

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:06 PM

I just came home from vacation and went to check my email . When I turned on my computer the only thing that came up on the screen was the intell spelled out and a paragraph that I did not understand. I tried several times afer turning everything off, still the same thing. I turned it off and the next morning tried again. When it continued the same as before, I switched off the power switch with my toe and turned int on very fast so it did not completeley go off. It came up with a whole page fo gibberish. It looks like a different language. "j~i^*^uf>>1/28Jto-{*oc there are symbols that I can not create on the keyboard. I did boot the other 2 computers in the home and they are fine so I don't think we had a storm or something. It would have effected all three. I have taken off the panel and cleaned inside and checked that everything is ok and disconnected and reconnected everything. The computer des not boot enough to press f2 or f8 or to start in safe mode. Please help
cakid61

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cakid61

cakid61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

I have also tried to disconnect the cd drives, now only get blackscreen starts to whirr then stops. Does anyone want to try this one?

#3 vict0r

vict0r

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

How old is this computer?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:09 AM

FWIW: 10 things you can do when Windows XP won't boot - http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877-6031733.html

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a MS XP install CD?

Louis

#5 cakid61

cakid61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

this is a dell experion bought about 4 years ago

#6 vict0r

vict0r

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

If you are a "spare time computer mechanic": Disconnect everything connected to the motherboard (harddrive, floppy drive, pci-card)(!).

Don't remove the video card, you need it. (maybe it's an on-board video card?)

Test

If you got one, try another video card.

Test again

Remove the memory.

Test again

Remove the CPU.

(Final?) Test (Everything removed except power cables and video card)

Don't remove any of those tiny wires connected to your motherboard, they are power/reset-connectors and probably usb-wiring. There's no point in removing them.

Finally: Do this only if you are sure you can put things back correctly and know how to discharge yourself and your computer.

Edited by vict0r, 07 January 2009 - 01:36 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

Before reaching inside the case, be sure that the power cable is disconnected from the computer, and that you ground yourself by touching the metal of the case (and continue holding it when you don't need both hands). This will help to ensure that static discharge doesn't destroy any of your components.

There's a more detailed set of instructions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 cakid61

cakid61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

I had a computer tech in the area look at it. He got it to boot and said it was the incompatable spyware and virus protection programs that I had. I had spybot window washer adaware and avg. When he brought it back he was having a problem and said three of the usb ports were bad so I am not using them. The computer is still good and I will use it until I have to get another one. one thing I did learn. I am getting a back up drive.

#9 vict0r

vict0r

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:27 AM

It is always a good thing to keep a backup of important files ;)

I find it a bit strange that "incompatible" spyware and virus protection programs would cause your computer "not boot enough to press f2 or f8 or to start in safe mode". Maybe it was the faulty usb ports...

Anyway get yourself a decent backup routine and be happy if you didn't loose any important files this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users