Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cpu htrm-throttling

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 oxmate

oxmate

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

hi i'm new here and i need a little help my pc seems to be heating up and i went googleing the prob and a few sites mentioned cpu htrm-throttling,mines set at default at %50 but some say to turn it down if you have heat probs to %25 my question is what is cpu htrm-throttling and what does it do?? any help would be usefull thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:06 AM

This setting is often referred to this way, but I don't believe this is correct. "Throttling" as implemented in Intel CPUs from the P4 on is controlled within the CPU itself.

The BIOS option CPU THRM-Throttling is explained in Intel motherboard/BIOS manuals thus:

"When the system enters Doze mode, the CPU clock runs only part of the
time. You may select the percent of time that the clock runs."

Folk relate the THRM designation to Thermal Throttling, but as a BIOS function, THRM is part of the ACPI Power Management options - Thermal Zone Management. The system behaviour in Doze and Suspend Modes are part of this.

Edited by Platypus, 31 December 2008 - 04:08 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users