Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40 GB Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

Hi all.

I've done a search but I can't find any useful solutions.

I have had Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 40 GB Hard Drive, 6E040L0711014 for a couple of months now. I plugged the drive into the drive cable. Started up and went into the BIOS (Award PGA4.60) to check the drive size and it returned 41.104GB, ok.

I booted up from a Win98SE bootable floppy and ran Fdisk to check the partition. It showed non DOS partition because it had WinXP on before. I remove the partition and set a new Primary partition of 40GB, ok.

Installed XP without a problem, tried it for a week didn't like it because some software namely my ISP. I've checked the BIOS for the drive size since and it only shows 20GB now, where has the other 20GB gone to?

So I thought I would format it FAT32 and reinstall XP. It gets to 51% installed then the blue screen of death. Which only tells you installation stopped so as not to damage hardware. After trying to install XP several times I gave up.

I have another Fujitsu 40GB drive which has bad sectors but the BIOS recognises that as 40GB no problem. I have to set the BIOS with the old bad drive then swap drives so the newer 40GB is recognised in Fdisk.

Now I have another Maxtor 20GB drive which I have Win98SE installed and the BIOS recognises that as 20.492GB as it should.

I downloaded MaxBlast3win.exe a couple of years ago when I had my first Maxtor drive and that says its a 41GB drive.

Now the main problem that I want to sort is why the BIOS won't recognise the 40GB drive anymore?

Whats happened to the other 20GB? :thumbsup:

Now I know its an old computer but I haven't found the correct spec/hardware for a new one yet.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

Well...this may have nothing to do with your situation...but you may want to take a llook at the date that drive was released.

I have drives still working which date back to 2002, but I keep an eye on them because I've gotten my fair share of usage out of them...and I don't expect them to go on forever.

http://www.storagereview.com/6E040L0.sr

Every drive you mentioned has exceeded the (maximum) 5-year warranty period that could have ever applied. If nothing else, I would run a manufacturer's diagnostic on each of those drives before ever considering using them.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

You might also bear in mind that some of the manufacturing companies existing 5/6 years ago...have been bought out or otherwise extinguished by competition. Maxtor has been bought by Seagate, so use the Seagate website when looking for a utility to check Maxtor drives.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 December 2008 - 06:29 PM.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for your reply hamluis.

The date of the drive says 03OCT2004 so its only 4 years old.

I wouldn't have thought that manufactures would have a use by date on their hardware.

I know Maxtor were taken over by Seagate. Thanks for the links but I've found them on web searches. :thumbsup:

Keith

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:58 PM

I've bought a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB Hard Drive and that one won't even recognised by the hard drive check it just locks the BIOS. If I don't use the BIOS and just run Fdisk it only shows 19GB. I have booted up with MaxBlast3 boot disk and that recognises 120GB and you can format it FAT32 or NTFS. But DOS only shows 19GB.

Now I know of the problems recognising drives great that 64GB but the patch was to use the updated Fdisk.exe. There supposed to be a 137GB limit for Win98SE which I haven't reached. It must the BIOS that the problem. I've searched for BIOS patches but nothing shows for PGA4.60, there are plenty for V4.51pg.

This week I bought a Western Digital WD400BB 40GB drive and the BIOS recognised that one without a problem, 40GB. After I Fdisked it and formatted it how come it only shows 38GB. Where does it loose 2GB? I'm using the updated Fdisk.exe.

I tried to install WinXP AGAIN and guess what, blue screen of death after 63%. Restart and try again and it just locks as it loads the device drivers. :thumbsup:

Keith

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

Properly connecting a PATA hard drive involves 3/4 possibilities of getting it wrong:

a. Power supply connector must be firmly attached.

b. Drive must be properly connected to IDE cable...which is connected to motherboard.

c. Proper jumper setting must occur, based on the cable connector drive is attached to...and the number of PATA drives on the cable.

d. Use of 40-wire, 40-pin IDE cable can result in problems when using Cable Select jumper settings, since the 40-40s are older technology and cannot properly apply the CS settings to drives.

Of course, there's always the possibility that something has gone bad.

There is no reason to use FDISK to format a drive, the XP CD formats the drive when it creates the partition for the XP install...or you can use Disk Management for this function, once XP is installed and running.

Worth reviewing if you are concerned about hard drive sizes: Hard Drive Sizes - The Elder Geek on Windows XP - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23647

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users