Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop disk in desktop as primary

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tnana

tnana

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

Hi,

Currently using an old laptop (XP) to watch streaming video on TV (via S-Video)

Started to build a desktop (my first attempt) as replacement so that I can get HDMI output.

So far I have bought
  • 10 Bay ATX Case w/ 300 Watt PSU
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Brisbane 2.2GHz
  • CORSAIR XMS2 4GB ( 2 X 2GB ) PC2-6400 800MHz 240-pin DDR2 CL5 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit - TWIN2X4096-6400C5
Still have to buy these
  • Motherboard (AM2 Socket, HDMI)
  • CPU Fan
  • Case Fan
The box will be placed on top shelf of open rack containing other home theater units.
I am thinking of using Logitech Mediaboard Pro after basic setup is done with wired keyboard/mouse.

I know laptop hard disk can be used in desktop with an adapter.

But can it be used as primary ? Will the BIOS recognize it ? What about the driver ?

This way I won't have to buy/install/setup the OS.

What else I need to consider ?

Also, is the thermal compound/adhesive/paste/gel or whatever absolutely necessary ?

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

If you're talking about removing the hard drive that has Windows on it and putting it into a new PC, that won't work. You need to reinstall the operating system. Sometimes, running the repair options from the Windows CD will work. If you're wanting to move a disk that has only media on it (MP3's, Videos, and images) without an OS on it, that should be possible. Most PC cases come with case fans installed already, if you're planning on making this a home theater PC, you might want to get equipment that puts out a minimum of noise. Buying your own thermal compound is necessary if you're reusing an old cooler or you've purchased one that does not have it preapplied. The XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler is a quiet and highly efficient cooler, but it is large and might not fit into some midtower cases. The thermal compound found already applied to some coolers is sometimes not that good, you might want to purchase some Arctic Silver and apply it yourself. SilentPCReview can provide you with information on quiet components.

3939.png

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:06 AM

This way I won't have to buy/install/setup the OS.

This should explain the problems you'll run into:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 tnana

tnana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

Thanks to both of you.

I'm going to attempt installing Ubuntu before buying any Windows.

Currently trying to install Ubuntu on another desktop with Vista (dual boot)

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

I tried Ubuntu, didn't like it. It was too "Mac like" for my tastes. I do, however, enjoy the KDE version of Ubuntu called Kubuntu.

3939.png

#6 tnana

tnana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

Kubuntu is awsome when it comes to graphics (8.10)
And best of all it installed in partition.

Ubuntu gave me hard time. Always produced I/O error when installing even after checking CD.

Kubuntu installed in same partition.

So far I have only tried Ubuntu as Wubi.

Since I could not get mono moonlight to work in FireFox (which I need for one of the streaming sites), I must have only Ubuntu on the new machine.

As I type this, I'm trying again installing Ubuntu over Vista using DVD instead of CD. (Edit: And it worked)

Edited by tnana, 04 January 2009 - 09:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users