Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jmatthews

jmatthews

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:53 AM

Hi!

I hope someone out there can help! I am a secretary in a solicitor's office and we have one main PC which myself and the other secretary use between us (we job-share). The solicitor has a laptop which he uses in his office for client time recording and accounting purposes.

We experienced problems with viruses etc., last week and as a result my colleague contacted Dell who advised that we installed Microsoft Antispyspare, which she duly did. Since that time our boss has been unable to make the connection between his laptop and the PC in the front office. My colleague contacted Dell again who insist that the antispyware software is not causing us a problem. I believe it is because there was no problem making the connection before this software was installed.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how we can overcome this problem? My knowledge is limited, but I am computer literate and can understand solutions written in plain English!! Thanks!! Jane :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:43 AM

It looks like solicitors aren't too popular, judging by the number of replies you've had. :thumbsup:

If you're still looking for help post back with details of the office PC, what operating system, what anti-virus, firewall and anti-spyware are you running? What type of wireless device is connected to the PC - a network card or a WAP? Anything else that comes to mind.

I'm guessing Dell support had your co-worker modify the firewall settings and you need to enter the IP address of your bosses PC in the 'Trusted Zone' or whatever applies to your firewall.

Edited by Rimmer, 22 May 2005 - 03:45 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:04 AM

ms antispy is alright for removing bad dudes, but when set to run real-time, it can block alot of things. you can go to "run" from start menu, type in "msconfig", select startup from your tab menu, then deselect msantispy from running when you start up your computer by unchecking the radio button to the left. the program is still there, simply not running when you start your computer. That should help, unless like the previous tech said, dell (who read from a screen) told you to change anything else!
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users