Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inexperienced computer guy saying hello

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Not-IT

Not-IT

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

Just saying hello, as I'm new to Bleeping Computer.

I found the sight while looking for some solutions to problems at the office. There are only a few of us in the office, and since I'm not the boss, I'm the IT guy. (BUT, if you look at my post name, I'm Not an IT guy so I'm sure I'll be here a lot - usually that's how new jobs go...trial by fire. :thumbsup: )

Looking forward to hearing from y'all, and possibly to helping others when we figure out my problems.

For now I'm off to the Vista forum to see if I can find help on System32 stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:18 PM

Hi there Not-IT, welcome to Bleeping Computer. It's good to see you here. :thumbsup:

#3 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

Out of curiosity, not-IT guy, are you working for a government agency of any kind? I used to work for a middle-sized library that, to save money, hired gamers who had a little knowledge of computers, but not really enough to be useful, and some place markers from time to time who had no computer experience. (There was another unit that had librarians who had a lot of computer expertise, but they dealt with different issues entirely.) These guys were called library assistants, and it was done to save money. Then our county closed down its excellent tech unit, and the library was forced to hire people who actually knew what they were doing and to pay a better salary.

Your community college probably has some courses you could take that would not be too time-consuming, and if there is an adult education program for your community, they would have 1 day or longer courses in specific programs. Some are user only, some are tech courses, but that would be a start. Does your office at least have manuals and books available? And get your bosses to pay for this stuff!

#4 Not-IT

Not-IT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:51 PM

Nope, not a govt employee. Just a civil engineer that's trying to get the computers working properly so I can move on to my real job. :thumbsup: You computer types always amaze me. WHat I take two days to figure out and get half-way right you guys take five minutes and never have to address it again.

I do plan on taking some local classes, but can't at the moment since I am new at this firm and I'm in the middle of getting training on our bread-and-butter programs (CAD and Engineering specific).

You know how it goes...it's all on the to-do list....

#5 Not-IT

Not-IT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:08 PM

P.S. Just finished my first post on a computer problem ever over in the vista section. It's on System32 problems I'm having. Hope to see you over there.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

#6 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

I am not a tech type. My family members gave me a computer and told me not to mess with the programming because I would just mess it up. After my first tower blew up (planned obsolescence), I had numerous problems because I was not consulted as to my preferences, and my sister's friend, who had a computer services company, was engaged in very dodgy practices.

I wish I had known about BC then. It has great resources, and the crew here is very helpful and knowledgeable. This site has helped me to gain more confidence--slowly--and it's always the first place I consult. Plus, the fact that there are multiple opinions helps to get a more balanced view of what apps work and which don't and the best ways to fix them. :thumbsup:

Good luck in all your endeavors! I hope your employers properly appreciate your efforts. Keep a log of all the overtime you put in, your expenses, and time taken from your "proper" duties. You might just get a pay raise out of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users