Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express export error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 m.hoyer

m.hoyer

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:09 AM

I'm trying to export a co-worker's Outlook Express messages to a file, so that I can import them into Outlook on his new computer, but every time I try to do the export I get an error message that says "The export could not be performed. An error occured while initializing MAPI." Am I attempting the impossible, or am I just doing it wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:58 PM

See if this technote helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q179637

#3 m.hoyer

m.hoyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:42 AM

This would have been a great help, except it doesn't apply to any versions beyond Outlook Express 5.5. I may have to install another e-mail client in order to have any way to change the 'default' option in OE 6.0.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:45 PM

Do you have outlook installed on the computer your trying to export from? You should install outlook and export from the OE to outlook. This will create a .pst file that you can copy over to the new computer.

#5 m.hoyer

m.hoyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:33 PM

I'm trying to migrate e-mails from the computer with OE to a different computer that has Outlook.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:31 PM

On the machine with the email open OE and click on Tools, then options, then the maintenance tab and look for a button labeled Store folder. Click on that and it will tell you the folder where your mail is stored.

Copy that folder to the new machine somehow (writeable cd, etc).

Then open OE on the new machine and click on file, import, and specify that folder to import the messages from.

Then fire up outlook on that new machine and import the messages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users