Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hardware tech w/ software questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scorcher

scorcher

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:22 PM

I am currently a hardware technician who does next-day warranty hardware installs. My knowledge of software is limited since we aren't allowed to do many software adjustments, changes.

I am interested in doing sidework as a technician for virus removal, OS installs.

I've done research but am very confused on the OS install when it pertains to machines that need a fresh install and the customer does not have their install disc but the machine has a product key on the panel.

What OS installation discs do I need. Example: if the product key was for XP SP 1, can a XP SP 2 disc work with that product key or do I need a XP SP 1 disc? In addition, should I get OEM disks and install but change the product key once the OS is installed?

Any help on what software tools I need for OS installs would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:38 PM

FWIW (I don't do this for a living):

There are a couple of ways to get the correct installed key...from a system...I suppose that most users settle on one.

I use SIW Download - http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html , which will reflect accurately license keys for Windows, MS Office and other programs. These will be under the Licenses category.

The SPs themselves are only significant if you intend to try a repair install or want to run sfc /scannow to try to repair damaged/missing Windows files. These tasks can only be accomplished properly by ensuring that the disk used is at least as current as the installation.

In other words, a slipstreamed XP SP3 disk...should be able to be used on any system with the same version of XP...for repair purposes (since SP3 is the most current SP for XP).

Icrontic Blog Archive Slipstreaming Windows Easy - http://icrontic.com/articles/slipstreaming_windows_easy

I guess that I see no need to change any product key at all, unless you intend to install XP on a system where the key info is unavailable, for whatever reason. The key for the system...if correct...will work with a different SP level for that operating system.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

The tools necessary for installing OS's are the ability to research and locate drivers that are needed on the system after Windows is installed. If you can get the restore disks for that particular model, then most of your work is done as the restore disks will have the drivers already included.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users