Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downloaded file causes buffer overrun can't delete

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 blurredvision80

blurredvision80

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

I have a downloaded file that causes a buffer overrun for windows explorer.exe (I an using vista home basic). I know exactly where the file is but it will not allow me to even click on it and I cannot delete it. I have a paid subscription for norton anti-virus and I have run about a dozen more different virus scans and nothing finds it. Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:28 PM

Hello blurredvision80,

This may not be malware related. Because of this and because you didn't enclose any logs, I'm shifting this to the VISTA forum for now to rule out possible OS issues.

Orange Blossom :huh:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

Where exactly is this file located (the exact path)?
Have you tried deleting it in Safe Mode?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 blurredvision80

blurredvision80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

It is in a file on my desktop c:\desktop\music
I have tried safe mode and the buffer overrun error still happens and I still can't delete it
-blurredvision80

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

The next thing to try is to delete it from a Command Prompt in the Vista Recovery Environment. To do this you'll have to launch Startup Repair: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

If that doesn't work, then we'll have to get aggressive with it.

Edited by usasma, 02 January 2009 - 04:30 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 blurredvision80

blurredvision80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

I unfortunately cannot find a Windows CD for this computer to run the startup repair
sorry
blurredvision80

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:43 PM

Some links to Startup Repair ISO's: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1261

#8 blurredvision80

blurredvision80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

I have done everything you asked, including making a vista recovery disc, trying to delete from the command prompt, and running startup repair. Still nothing seems to even recognize the existence of this file, even though I am sitting here looking at it. Any more ideas? This is getting quite frustrating.
Thanks for the Help
Blurredvision80

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:19 AM

This seems to resemble an issue in this thread (where the pagefile.sys file wasn't findable): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/190488/pagefilesys-everywhere-and-nowhere/
The OP used a bootable disk along with an NTFS reader to locate and delete the file - it's in the end of Post #8 here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1069140

Give that a try to see if you can delete it that way.

#10 blurredvision80

blurredvision80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:15 PM

All of the instructions in the link you provided last are for windows xp and I am running vista home basic
I also do not have a floppy drive to run NTFS reader
I ran the defrag that the thread recommended
this may be getting too deep for me as I am only about an intermediate user
What next?
thanks for trying to help!
Bluredvision80

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:31 PM

The steps should work for Vista as well as XP.
If you don't have a floppy, then you'll have to use a utility like the Ultimate Boot CD to do this. Here's a link to it: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I'm not familiar with the tool, so it'll take some experimentation on your part to figure it out.

#12 blurredvision80

blurredvision80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:01 PM

I guess I dont know what I am doing well enough to figure this out
I got that ultimate boot cd, but it went into dos and wanted me to do things that I have no idea what they are and I am worried about making it worse
I also noticed that I can now see the file in DOS with the command prompt, but when I gice it the delete command it says cannot find file specified
I check my spelling 3 times
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!
Blurredvision80

#13 blurredvision80

blurredvision80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

I just noticed that when I first start my computer it says buffer overrun on c:\windows\system32\rundll.dll
I hope this helps
blurredvision80

#14 blurredvision80

blurredvision80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

Problem Solved!
I isolated the bad file by moving everything else out of the folder it was in.
Then I went back to Vista Recovery and used the command prompt
It wouldn't let me delete the file, but it let me delete the whole directory
File is gone and no more error windows.
Thanks for all your help!
BlurredVision80

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:37 PM

I'm glad that you figured it out! Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users