Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeze's after a few mins

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tarzan

Tarzan

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:31 PM

Dear Helper,

I've read 2 pages of topics and havent really found any answers yet, hence starting a fresh topic.

I have been having the same problem for a long time now and I've just about ready to through my PC out the window. It started about 8 months ago.

The PC would just freeze on me after about 10 mins of powering up.
The freeze up happens in various stages, as follows;
The mouse / cursor will begine to move slowly, then stop working then I lose any keyboard functionality.
Or
I will loose mouse / cursor function suddenly and have a few seconds of keyboard use before freezing up.
Or
I will have sudden loss of all functionality.

When the problem occurs all that happens is that my monitor displays exactly what it was displaying when the problem occures but I cannot do anything, including powering off using "ctrl alt del". The Hard drive light continues to stay on as though its being accessed but even after leaving it in that state for several hours nothing happens. I end up resort to shutting down using the main power button. Then if I try to start up again it freezes up during differnt stages of the start up procedure including running through the bios. sometimes I can access the bios and othertimes can not (depending on the were it freezez).
After a couple of hours it will start up again as if nothing was wrong ut will freez again after about 10 mins.

The problem was happening for some time until it began to get to the stage were I could not start up at all.

I changed the motherboard and the RAM, then loaded everything back on ensuring it was a completely clean setup but the problem has started again.

The only clue I have now is that just before the Bios start up procedure begines I get a very quick flash of some message which I can really read quick enough but I sis catch something to do with Radeon Pro. My graphics card is an Radeon Pro something or other.

Could my graphics card be causing this problem? I have had popped it into another machine with no problems but cannot verify this quality of that check.

The graphics card was changed a couple of years ago due to some other problem.

Can you please help.
Many thanks

Tarzan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

I would go to the hdd manufacturers web site and download and run their diagnostic tool. You will need to burn a CD to boot from to run this test. You may have to access the BIOS and change the CD-ROM to the first device in the boot order so that you can boot from the CD.

If there isn't a problem with the hdd try running chkdsk.

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

I would run both in your case.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:20 PM

To get a valid error message, which normally contains useful data, try this: Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

Details of the next situation may be posted in Event Viewer, maybe not. Depends on what the problem really is.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

FWIW: Various items can cause freezing, but many of those same items also result in an error message being recorded by the system. The one exception I can think of involves system overheating...I also think that maybe a failing power supply might also do the same but that's just a wild guess on my part.

In any case, it might be worthwhile for you to read:

Cleaning A Laptop Computer - http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyour...cleanlaptop.htm

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Louis

#4 Tarzan

Tarzan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:42 AM

Since sending my post I have tried to power up but I cant.

It goes through the bios set up and just before it is going to begin loading windows it stops loading and just shows a flashing cursor.

So I cant check my hard drive now.

The PC is fairly clean as I recently changed the motherboard and cleaned everything then.

So I am stuck unless it magically decided to load up again.

Short of sending it in to PC world or the like can I do anything to locate the problem?

I can get hold of a voltmeter incase checking outputs is a suggestion?

Thanks in advance
Tarzan

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:09 PM

If the flashing cursor is against a black background and the cursor sits in the upper left corner...you can try Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#6 Tarzan

Tarzan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!!
That is exactly what is happening and I will give it a go tomorrow.
Off to a new years party.

Happy New year!!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

Happy New Year :thumbsup:!

Keep us posted as to outcome.

Louis

#8 Tarzan

Tarzan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:31 PM

Hello again.

Hope you all had a very happy new year!

Well Iím afraid that nothing is going write for me regarding this computer.

Unfortunately I donít think I know enough about the recovery console to understand if I am doing what I should be doing but everything I tried lead me to a dead end. Eventually I got to a screen that said the NTLDR file was missing but I donít actually know how to sort that out so I resigned to trying to load windows back on. So as I reboot to set off down that road, the computer froze on me as it was running through the self test post.

I am so stuck I donít know what to do. The HDD manufacturer "Seagate" has a diagnostic tool but not one that runs from a boot disk (at least I canít find one). So I canít even check if that is the problem.

Assuming I can get windows loaded on and running again at some stage I will continue to check the HDD but do you think that there could e a multitude of problems (viruses etc) or is this software concern caused by a faulty piece of hardware. (I.e. corrupt files due to continuous system crashes caused by either graphics card or HDD or power supply concerns?).
Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tarzan

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

At this link ( http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/ ) the SeaTools for DOS is the boot disk. Read the instructions carefully to make it bootable.

Once in the Recovery Console, try these 3 commands:

FIXMBR

FIXBOOT

CHKDSK /R

Press Enter after each one and answer "Y" (for Yes) when it asks if you're sure.

This'll help to rule out hard drive problems - then we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Tarzan

Tarzan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:17 AM

Hello again.

Its been a while but I found out the problem.

The graphics Card was too close to the sound card. This caused all the air that was being thrown out of the graphics card to be trapped in the space between the two devices. This air, unable to escape caused a rise in temp which in turn stopped the card from working.

In the end I moved the sound card to another Port further away and installed a second case Fan which curred the problems.

Thanks for all the advise

tarzan

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for getting back to us with the solution...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users