Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading the dv8315nr from HP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wesright

Wesright

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:12 PM

Has anyone here ever tried to uprade their CPU or CPU/motherboard on a HP dv8315nr using parts from a newer HP laptop, specifically the dv2000..? I don't know the specific model as the ex-sister-in-law ripped off the decal on the bottom of the laptop in order to keep the windows CD key that was printed on it. Now the laptop does appear to boot, and I can even see the mouse in a tiny part of the display, but not enough to do anything with. I can't be %100 sure it's fully working other than the cracked display.
I tried plugging in another monitor to the external port, as well as the s-video plug, but I can't get the screen to come up. I probably have to configure the display properties in order to do it and since I can't see anything....<sigh>

If I knew for sure the display was the only problem, I'd pay for the new one (seen on internet for ! $180 to $250) and replace the lcd. It's not as big as the 17" display I've gotten so used to on my dv8315 but it's got more gusto.

I was thinking about trying to upgrade my dv8315nr using parts from it but so far I found the hard drive won't work since I have an Ultra ATA/100 100GB drive but the dv2000 has the SATA 120 GB. I can't use the 1GB of memory either because although the 8315 supports more, it only has 2 slots and they are both being used. I don't know about the CPU though. I don't think the motherboard in the 8315nr will support the Turion x2 will it..? It has the Turion ML-34 1.8 GHz now fwiw.....

Any thoughts..? Ideas..? Comments..? Insults..? Anything..?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

I don't even think the internal speakers will interchange.
Honestly, you're in for more trouble than you can imagine
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Wesright

Wesright
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:38 PM

Can't blame me for hoping.... I didn't think there was anything I could do but it just irks me that I have this other machine that I can't do anything with. What a waste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users