Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

anti virus pro 2009

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 reajoh

reajoh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hello, I have a lap top (actually my co-workers, dell dimension 1100) that has the malware "anti virus pro 2009" on it. I tried your malware tutorial and others. It willnot let any other programs run. It won't let anything download via internet. I tried placing hjt, spybot S&D, malware sweeper, etc into it via usb/sd card. It lets those onto the laptop but wont run them. Also cannot run anything via disc, wont recognize it...

So, I'm thinking I'll hav to do a clean install, which is no big deal to me, but I would like to save files before i do so. If I connect this 'infected' laptop to an external HD will that HD become infected when I back up files to it? I'm only looking to back up videos and documents, not software...

Thanks in advance, reajoh.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:32 PM

I am sending you a Private message with instructions. Please follow those instructions first, then run the procedure found below.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:53 PM

Try this before reinstalling Windows.

If you followed the instructions here at BC then you likely have MalwareBytes Antimalware on the infected computer but not updated. You can first attempt to run MBAM by finding the MBAM.exe and renaming it. Rename by right clicking on the .exe and choose rename. Name it lastchancescan or other name. Then click on the .exe to install MBAM.

Using a different computer, download the manual updates from MBAM site to a CD or other medium and update the MBAM program on the infected computer.

Download and install SuperAntispyware using the same procedure as for MBAM. Instructions using SAS are in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1040160
The link below for SAS manual updates contains these instructions:
If you would like to manually update your definitions simply exit SUPERAntiSpyware, then click the "Download" link here. Save the file to your desktop and double-click it to run the installer. Once the installation is complete, you must exit and restart SUPERAntiSpyware for the new definitions to be active.
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

Instructions for MBAM are in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=944365
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users