Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking thoughts on what is going on with an HP 854n

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yanglk

yanglk

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:50 AM

"Seeking thoughts on what is going on with an HP 854n:
Computer boots up fine but then eventually will shut down on own. It may be within 40 minutes or 8 hours.

Upon shutdown, green led on back is off.
If I unplug the power cord from the back of the computer and wait a few seconds and then plug the cord back in, the green led will come back on and then it will boot up and we go through the whole process again.\

The fan used to kick on and off intermittedly, but not I'm noticing the fan is on most times.

Any insight will be appreciated."
this is the case why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:58 AM

"Seeking thoughts on what is going on with an HP 854n:
Computer boots up fine but then eventually will shut down on own. It may be within 40 minutes or 8 hours.

Upon shutdown, green led on back is off.
If I unplug the power cord from the back of the computer and wait a few seconds and then plug the cord back in, the green led will come back on and then it will boot up and we go through the whole process again.\

The fan used to kick on and off intermittedly, but not I'm noticing the fan is on most times.

Any insight will be appreciated."
this is the case why?

I would suggest posting your own topic, tacking yours to another member's will not only potentially confuse their issue, you will not get the readership that you would if you post your own topic. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:09 AM

My first guess...power supply.

Do you have access to another...or another system?

Is It My Power Supply - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/169618/is-it-my-power-supply/

How To Test Your Computers Power Supply (PSU) - Video - http://www.metacafe.com/watch/729606/how_t...wer_supply_psu/

Louis

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:19 PM

My first guess...power supply.

That is about the only thing that will cause those specific symptoms.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 phogroian

phogroian

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

I had a power supply fail on this machine, and upgraded to a 400 watt unit, from the stock (300w?) one. Later, I had your problem (the 854n would suddenly power down randomly). Well, maybe not randomly- It would do it when the computer was taxed (streaming video, installing programs). Though it could be an overtaxed power supply (I upgraded my video board to a power-hungry one) I have a feeling that it is the CPU overheating. The fan that funnels directly to the CPU heat sink kicks in for only short periods. I piggyback mounted a supplementary fan onto the back of the computer (always on) and that solved the problem.

Admin Edit: Little point in responding to a situation...from 3 years ago ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 07 November 2011 - 04:28 PM.

#6 jdbaker82

jdbaker82

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

Def the power supply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users