Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have a question about Avira and Firefox

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nevi

Nevi

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:08 AM

Recently I have started to use the German Antivirus Antivir Classic.I have a hardware firewall in my router,so I use Windows own firewall (I have a question about that too)
My first question is about Antivir.When I used Kaspersky and NOD32,I could not engage Pipelining,because Kaspersky and NOD32 is being used as proxys..yes?
Now I have heard lately,that Avira do that too.So my question is,does anybody know whether its okay to engage Pipelining in Firefox while using Avira?
Thanks in advance for any help.
I would also like to hear the consensus regarding personal firewalls,and hardware firewalls.I have been a hardcore personal firewall user.And I think especially Online Armor with its "limited user" options is great.But after I found out I had a hardware firewall in my router,almost everybody I talked with told me it would be enough to use Windows own firewall together with that hardware firewall and it should be better than using a software firewall,is that true?
THANKS!

Nevi

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
Prevx 3.0 with Safeonline.Sandboxie,NAT router.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:09 AM

Hi :flowers:.

I use the free version of Avira, but I cannot tell you anything about using it in conjunction with Firefox...but I suspect there :thumbsup: would be some info available at the Avira website/forum if this were an issue users have encountered.

As for firewalls...the following link should answer your questions (and more): http://www.firewallguide.com/faq.htm

An excerpt from that website:

What is the difference between a router with firewall features and a hardware firewall? Features and price. Lower cost products provide a DHCP server, PAT/NAT services, 1-8 physical ports to network computers and/or wireless service. NAT hides your computer(s) from the Internet which makes it a simple but effective firewall. Higher cost products, but still under $200, provide additional features like built-in stateful packet inspection (SPI), support for Virtual Private Networking (VPN), Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), content filters, anti-virus protection, and more.

What is the best choice? A combination of personal firewall software and a hardware router with firewall features (wired or wireless).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users