Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Files & Folders not Visible

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mujju

Mujju

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:19 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm having a problem currently, I'm not able to view my hidden files and folders as i dont find the "show hidden files and folders" in control panel/Folder Options/View. Please find attachedis my screen shot of the folder options. Please tell me how to fix it.

Thanking you,
Mujju

Edited by Orange Blossom, 31 December 2008 - 12:33 AM.
Moving from HiJack This forum to Windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:36 AM

Hello Mujju and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

This does not sound like a malware problem at this time. I am shifting this topic to the Windows XP forum for now. Please let us know what your operating system is: Windows XP, Vista etc. We can shift it again if I guessed wrong.

Also, the image you referenced isn't here in your post.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Mujju

Mujju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

Hi Orange,

Wish you Very Happy and Prosperous New Year 2009!!!

My Operating System is Windows Xp Professional and i have CA anti virus installed in my system.

Please let know if you need any information.

Note: Uploaded the Screen Shot of the Problem Menu kindly Check.

Thanking you,
Mujju

Attached Files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

I see the options...all you have to do is uncheck it...and the next one.

Louis

#5 Mujju

Mujju
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

not able to uncheck "Do not show hidden files and folders". Can u guys suggest how to get the "Show hidden files and folders" into my Folder Options/View/

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:20 AM

From this link: http://www.precisesecurity.com/tools-resou...es-and-folders/

PROCEDURE A:
MOD EDIT: Backup your registry prior to making any modifications to it.
1 . Go to Start > Run
2. Type regedit on the box
3. On Registry editor navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\
Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL

4. On the right pane, delete the value with

* Name: CheckedValue
* Type: REG_SZ
* Data: 2

5. Create a new DWORD. Right-click on the right pane > New >DWORD Value

6. Value should be:

* Name: CheckedValue
* Type: REG_DWORD
* Data: 1

If this doesn't work, you can try Procedure B - But I haven't tried that myself.
If that doesn't work, then try Procedure C.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:27 AM

Generally...if system files are missing, I would try running sfc /scannow or...doing a repair install.

Both are methods for replacing/inserting missing or damaged system files...but neither is guaranteed to solve problems that may exist on a given system.

The user will need a MS XP CD to run either of these efforts.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Depending on how long the problem has existed...and if the user is using System Restore...one can always try to go back to a restore point prior to the initial appearance of the problem. This probably ought to be tried before any other options, IMO.

Louis

Edit: Try the link USASMA posted first, looks like it directly addresses the problem.

Have you had any known malware problems/situations?

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2009 - 09:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users