Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel computer can't download SP2, freezes and crashes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rysuko

Rysuko

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:04 AM

I've been trying to fix up my moms computer for her since a few days before Christmas. It's an Intel Pentium 4 that was great when she got it several years ago, was working wonderfully and she was excited about it. Unfortunately all it's done for most of those several years is collect dust and serve as an ornament. I fixed the resolution problem by installing updated video drivers, and fixed the internet connection through more drivers. I got everything working fine but when I download and install Windows SP2 at some point after restarting the computer it will eventually crash and reboot in an endless cycle. When that happens, I can't reboot in safe mode, it continues to crash. It's running Windows XP Home, and I've tried looking up everything about this. It seems to only happen to a few rare people and it's always Intel related.

I found these articles on Microsoft and Intel support sites regarding SP2 that seemed to relate to the problem somewhat.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885626

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-015171.htm

I downloaded the Microsoft hotfix, I downloaded and installed the update for the BIOS on the motherboard, I updated all hardware drivers, but the problem persists. After I installed the BIOS update, I successfully installed SP2 and restarted the computer twice with it to check it. Then I proceeded to download Trend Micro PC-Cillin (an anti-virus I use on this computer) and just before I clicked the "Finish" button for the installation of it, the computer crashed again into the same cycle. The crashes seem to be an inevitability after downloading Windows SP2.

I would really appreciate some help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:42 AM

If you have the startup disk you can try using the Recovery Console.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:44 AM

Hi Rysuko,

It sounds like you've taken all the correct steps offered by Intel, your motherboard manufacturer and Microsoft.

If the chckdsk DC3's suggested doesn't help, I had the following thoughts:

If you go back to the restore point just preceding the download of the TrendMicro PC-Cillin installation program, does SP2 still work as it did the first two times you tried it?

If you've never done this before, Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
check the box to Restore my computer to an earlier time and click on Next. You'll see a calendar with highlighted dates. Choose one of the dates just preceeding the download of TrendMicros's installation file and allow your system to return to that point.

If the above does not help and you still end up with SP2 not working, what happens if you go directly from SP1 to SP3? SP3 will include all the updates from SP2, but the particular problem you've researched with SP2 causing problems in the BIOS/chip combination of Intel may have been resolved before SP3 was released. Here's an article on SP3: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/

Be sure to follow the preparation instructions and have everything backed up if you decide to try this.

Zllio

Edited by Zllio, 30 December 2008 - 04:49 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:06 AM

I'm not sure just exactly what your situation is, but if you are able to boot into Windows try uninstalling the SP2 in the Add and Remove software section of the Control Panel. When you open the Add and Remove there is a box at the top of the page titled Show Upgrades, make sure the is a check mark in that box. You may have a corrupted download, and by uninstalling it rather than using a System Restore you will not lose the other downloads that you have made.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Rysuko

Rysuko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:46 AM

Well the main problem is that I've downloaded SP2 almost a dozen times and it's either crashed the computer in the middle of download/install, or it will install just fine, then shortly afterward seemingly regardless of what I'm doing, it will freeze or crash. If it freezes, and I try to restart, it will freeze or crash on every startup. I'm installing the recovery console, I'm hoping it will make life a little easier.

I'm not sure just exactly what your situation is, but if you are able to boot into Windows try uninstalling the SP2 in the Add and Remove software section of the Control Panel. When you open the Add and Remove there is a box at the top of the page titled Show Upgrades, make sure the is a check mark in that box. You may have a corrupted download, and by uninstalling it rather than using a System Restore you will not lose the other downloads that you have made.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

If you're able to get into Windows (regular or Safe Mode), look for the crash error messages - they may help us out.
Here's a link on how to find the messages: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
If you're able to find the memory dump files (described in the above link), then you can use this link to perform an analysis that we can have a look at here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Rysuko

Rysuko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

Is there any way I can turn off automatic restart from the windows recovery console?

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

In the screen that shows Safe Mode you should be have "Disable automatic restart" as one of the options there.
As for the recovery console route - you'd have to do some experimenting with it to see if you can edit that registry entry (not an easy thing to do in the recovery console.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Rysuko

Rysuko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:04 AM

I did manage to get into safe mode and I turned off automatic restart. The blue error screen revealed a file called IdeChnDr.sys was causing the problem. Upon further investigation of the file it was part of an unsupported program called Intel Application Enhancer (or something very similar) supposedly sped up processor performance. It was part of the drivers for my motherboard I downloaded from Intel. I removed the program, installed SP2, installed anti virus and so far it's running crystal clear. I think this solved my problem. Thanks for the help guys.

#10 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:34 AM

Hi Rysuko,

That is good news indeed and thanks for your specific information about it! After SP2 has run for awhile, if you'd like to go on to SP3, there is a good website to read about that here:

Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3

Before doing any installations, it's always good to create a new restore point. If you've never created a new restore point, it is done as follows:

Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
check the box to create a new restore point and click next
Put in the title you want and click on create? or okay?. It takes a moment to complete.

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users