Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN XP SYSTEM WILL NOT BOOT

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hybrids

hybrids

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:22 AM

in the process of fixing ANOTHERcomputer, my OWN has crashed, bad boot.ini of MBR???

INVALID BOOT RECORD...was what I remember seeing on the blue screen with a stop code, don't remember what it was, maybe ended in 75?

May have been some remark about missing HAL.DLL? hardware info, nothing has changed.

Rebooted and would never go back to blue screen, only to a blinking cursor in upper left corner of black screen.

Couldn't get it to go to recovery, recovery disks will not run in dos mode?

Nothing seems to recognize files on it, ran scans with WD utilities and all scans come back clean, no errors, short and long scan, disk is fine.

Crashed out of a Microsoft UPDATE that wouldn't end after properly shutting down windows, kept running, saying 1 of 1 update left, ran for 3 hours or more, finally turned off.

This has been happening quite a bit lately and finally shutdown auto updates, seems like they are running all the time, take up to much processor time and probably spyware?

Finally, I got sucked into using MIcrosoft New software to protect my computer, trial, it started trying to control everything, always asking if ok to let normal items download, running me nuts, I think this software is what messed things up.

EDIT: Just remembered, after I shut down computer the 1st time because updates wouldn't finish, I was able to go into safe mode and recover it to older morning settings.
But after this it cameup and ran fine, then had to shut down a second time because of updates not finishing, now won't come back.

I have been reading posts and making a:\ disks with NTLDR / NTDETECT.COM / BOOT.INI FILES ON IT.
Tried it on another coputer and seems to work, of course they aren't busted, so will see?

I have put another 250gb WD SATA drive in and recovered it back to original HP install status.

Would like to try and put the other 160gb that went bad in as a sec drive and see if I can recover it some how?

Any possiblilites to get this drive back up? WD 1600 / WIN XP

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Edited by hybrids, 30 December 2008 - 12:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yanglk

yanglk

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:48 AM

"in the process of fixing ANOTHERcomputer, my OWN has crashed, bad boot.ini of MBR???

INVALID BOOT RECORD...was what I remember seeing on the blue screen with a stop code, don't remember what it was, maybe ended in 75?

May have been some remark about missing HAL.DLL? hardware info, nothing has changed.

Rebooted and would never go back to blue screen, only to a blinking cursor in upper left corner of black screen.

Couldn't get it to go to recovery, recovery disks will not run in dos mode?

Nothing seems to recognize files on it, ran scans with WD utilities and all scans come back clean, no errors, short and long scan, disk is fine.

Crashed out of a Microsoft UPDATE that wouldn't end after properly shutting down windows, kept running, saying 1 of 1 update left, ran for 3 hours or more, finally turned off.

This has been happening quite a bit lately and finally shutdown auto updates, seems like they are running all the time, take up to much processor time and probably spyware?"
Thank you for what you have to share

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

Try this: Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

#4 hybrids

hybrids
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:30 PM

I have tried various thigs mentioned in the site you sent me already.

I have been modifying my a:boot disk with different items.

Now when it goes to black screen, after maybe 4-5min cursor prompt in top left corner, it comes up with:

FILE MISSING OR CORRUPT
,ROOT.\SYSTEM32\HAL.DLL
REINSTALL COPY OF FILE - how can I install file without access to c:\?

I added Hal.dll to my a: boot disk, still same error

I added: COPY HAL.DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 at the end of my boot.ini file, didn't make any difference, guess the command.com isn't available to understand COPY command?

Any thoughts on getting this HAL.DLL on c:\?

Thanks,

Phil

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:19 PM

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm...ssinghaldll.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

Louis

#6 hybrids

hybrids
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:22 PM

HAMLUIS / AND PREVIOUS POSTERS

I have viewed and tried about every trick that is published including the ones you guys have firnished.

I have been thru this crap before and it doesn't make it any easier to put up with, I probably have 10-12 hard drives with the same problem, always can't get access to the drive, what a bunch of crap. You think someone could atleast build a OS that doesn't quit crashing and be able to restore itself.
I do all kinds of scans to keep out spyware, load all the crap Microsoft puts out and usually it is there stuff that hoses up the system, so why can't they figure out how to recover it properly.

I have recovery CD's created by my system, worthless, couldn't fix nothing, all they want to do is reformat and put new system back on.

They supply a bunch of old dos commands that have been outdated since MSDOS 5.1, chkdsk, if it doesn't recognize the HD it can't do anything, along with the other lame utility files.

After much wasted hours and realizing that I now have another trophy to put with the other dozen or so HD, I did the dreaded FIXBOOT and FIXMBR command, they never work but it gives you that last great act of defiance against the HD, lol. Of course it will make a nice door stop now.

The Hal.dll is a broad excuse for not knowing what is wrong with the system from what I can see from my reading. Just like everything else MS comes up with, never any real fix or logical reasoning.
Sounds like double boot drives and power failures are the biggest reason for MS problems, that is why I use a UPS to cut down on power glitches.
The 1st thing to do is quit using auto update crap, it takes over your computer, makes it slower, never wants you to turn off the computer, main reason my computer went, had to crash out twice using that crap.

Well, now all I get is INVALID PARTICION TABLE, which is what I get for running FIXMBR, ALWAYS THE SAME RESULTS, nothing, don't understand why they even include the command, it never works, they almost tell you that in the warning.

So if any gooroo out there knows how I can recover some files off of this HD, please share it with me.

Problem is that NTFS file system won't let you in unless running windows. In the old days you could just use a boot disk and gain access to any FAT files on the HD.

Years ago, I could get on to the HD, delete all files on the root C: drive, then reload Command.com and get it back working, those days are gone.

Good luck to all.......

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users