Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow run time with World at War

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Andur

Andur

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:38 PM

Recently I purchased Call of Duty: World at War, and according to my system specs I was well over the minimum system requirements.
However, when I started the game, it takes almost 5 minutes to get to the main menu, and similar amounts of time to start/load a game.
Thus far, I've tried lowering graphics settings, running in safe mode, updating to version 1.1, and exiting back round programs like my anti-virus, Steam, etc.
All have the same result: slow loading, slow game play. One of the things I did try was running it in Windows 98 compatibility, and THEN it ran like it should.
I'd rather not run it in said way, because the graphics are awful, anyways on how I can fix this?

System info I know of:
Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT video card
Realtek High Definition Audio sound card
Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 3800+ 986 MHz
1.50 GB RAM

This is incredibly frustrating, and I'm hoping someone could help.

Update: When attempting to run it again this morning the game now doesn't seem to want to run single or multiplayer. It just gets stuck on the "Call of Duty: World at War" load screen. I'm beginning to think this game is a waste of time and money.

Edited by Andur, 30 December 2008 - 10:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:47 PM

Have you defragged your hard drive recently? That could be a symptom of long load times.

Also, your system does meet the minimum requirements, but those aren't very good to go by. Those are generally the minimums to just get the game to start and maybe play on low settings.

Your processor is older and not a dual-core. That could lead to some slow downs, including graphics.

The graphics card should be good enough to play the game on medium-low settings.

1.5gb of ram is a little low to run the game smoothly too.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:32 AM

I have defragged my hard drive recently, and turning them to low settings still does not fix the problem.
I also turned off the antiantalising off, and it ran till the first explosion, then crashed.
This could be a memory problem though, since I have a friend who has the same specs as I do, but more RAM, and is able to run the game.
I'll stop down by Best Buy and purchase maybe another GB, then see how that goes.
Will keep posted about results.

#4 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Well, updated to 3GB of RAM, double of what I used to have.
Just before, the game still had long load times, but after wards ran fine, up to the load after "Ring of Steel" where it always crashed.
This point, I'm beginning to think this is a CD problem, as when the disk is in the drive is making sounds it normally doesn't.
I could be wrong, this is from the localization file in the game's directory:
WIN_ERROR
"Fatal Error"

WIN_OUT_OF_MEM_BODY
"Out of memory error. You are probably low on hard disk space."

WIN_OUT_OF_MEM_TITLE
"Out of memory error"

WIN_UNABLE_LOAD_DLL_BODY
"Unable to load a DLL. Possibly due to low memory, insufficient hard drive space, or missing DLL files."

WIN_DIRECTX_INIT_TITLE
"DirectX Error"

WIN_DIRECTX_INIT_BODY
"DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error.

These messages make no sense though cause I now have more then enough memory, half my hard drive free space, and I've reinstalled directx 3 times now.
I'm out of options. Since Best Buy doesn't take games back, and I doubt they'll replace a CD (if it even is defective, dunno if it is), well..
I can always find out how well the disk will blend.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:13 PM

Have you tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling it? Also, there is a patch out, try installing it and see if that helps.

It may be a good idea to go to the official call of duty forums and ask them. Others may be having similar problems and they might be able to help you more.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:27 PM

Uninstalled, reinstalled, patched, did nothing.
And as far as the forums of the Call of Duty site go, I've already posted there 3 days ago.
No response, and at this point I don't expect one, since a post on those forums can go completely unanswered.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

I know it may sound weird, but updating their sound card drivers helped some people in cod4 with game issues.

#8 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:39 PM

Turns out the sound card drivers did need an update, didn't change anything however.
I'm thinking maybe removing the cutscenes before the missions may reduce load times.
I don't know, I'm out of ideas short of getting a new processor.

#9 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

Ok removing the video files expect for the "default" fixed the load times, took only a few seconds.
But the game crashed 5 seconds into gameplay.
Still, getting somewhere with it.

#10 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

the uh... 987 MhZ is nothing for CoD:WoW you need 3GhZ, thats the only reason I can't run it
If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

#11 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:47 AM

lol did he try to run a game that needs 3GHZ cpu power with 987 MhZ cpu power

#12 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

Fine, I need a new processor, don't have to mock me about it. :thumbsup:
Any recommendations?

#13 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

The minimum requirements say AMD 64 3200+. Your processor meets the requirements, so you would think it would run, but of course, slowly. Are you sure your processor is only running at 987mhz? Try opening the game, minimize, and see what peed your processor is running at.

If you still want a new processor, we will need your computers model number, or the motherboard model.

#14 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

I believe the model is an HP Pavilion a1410n, not sure about the motherboard.
I'll see how the processor is running with the game open.
Knew it'd be a bit slow with running loading maybe, but only expected a minute, not five.

Edit: Alright looked at the performance tab in the task manager, noticed how during load times, the CPU usage goes into 100% and stays there for quite a while.
This is normal for my game's other load times, like say Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, Bioshock, etc, but they only spike to 100% a few times, not stay in a solid 100%, like WaW does.

Edited by Andur, 06 January 2009 - 02:44 PM.

#15 Over50

Over50

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

Just a thought. Looking at your system specs you've included XP SP3. Given the various problems that have been reported after installing SP3, and with everything else you've tried, were it me I'd try uninstalling it to see if this is the source of the problem.
CM Cosmos S case, EVGA 750i SLI FTW, 860W PCPC PS,
E8400 w/Zalman 9700 cooler, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 216 Core SC, X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card
CH 568 USB Joystick, Pro Pedals and Yoke, Windows XP Home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users